1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking the ice with my doctor

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Daydreamer1, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been out to my doctor for a while, and I take it he doesn't get it. By a while, I mean well over a year. When I asked if he could refer me to an endocrinologist that was across the street from the office, he said I was better off going to Philadelphia because "the area is conservative", so nothing came out of the referral request. With that said, I'm not sure how to break the ice with him that I'm on T, since I feel so awkward being in the office still going by my birth name. To make things tougher, he's one of those slightly impersonal doctors who feels like he's rushing to get through patients on the daily.

I hope to see my partner's doctor, but I'm stuck for the time being. Any advice?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, do you need him at all ?

You might say you decided to go through a change now...

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just treated it like a medication add to my profile. So, I just told the nurse the dosage of T that I was taking and it was added to my chart.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might go to the doctor's tomorrow or in a few days if I'm still feeling crummy (I think I hurt myself from coughing too hard from this damn flu bug). If not, I'm seeing another doctor in a week or so for my yearly ear check-in.

I don't know, I guess I'm just awkward when it comes to doctors.