1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naming Your Kids Ambiguously

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CapQuestionmark, Feb 16, 2015.

1. CapQuestionmark

I know that it's a long time from now, but I plan on giving my children ambiguous names. I was born with one, and I'm so thankful for that. So, I'd love to give them that option as well for their future.

I'd like others opinions on this; whether or not you agree, or if you'd even like to do it with your kids too.

By the way, I'd name them Verne and Jiyl. You?

2. Gen

Gen

I definitely wouldn't be against using an ambiguous name, but I wouldn't feel obligated either. I largely prefer gender neutrality in most things, yet I have a non-ambiguous name that I adore.

With that being said, I would never care if my child wanted to change their name and would make that explicitly clear to them as they grew into themselves.

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I probably wouldn't. Like Gen, I wouldn't stand in their way if they changed their name although I know I'd be a little disappointed at first.

4. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Same as above, but my favourite names are ambiguous anyways. That being said, since I plan on adopting they might/probably will already have names. And I'd definitely be okay with them changing them if they want to as they get older.

Btw; my favourite names are Avery, Teague, Eilian, and James.

5. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it is a good idea because, you never can know what gender your child will end up identifying as. I was given a unisex name and while I was given a hard time (most people thought of it as being a boy's name), I am thankful for it. I think it would've been much harder for me had I been given a very feminine name.

6. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My favorite name for a future child is ambiguous, so no, I'm not against the idea at all :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wish my birth name was not so exclusively feminine. That's why I plan on NEVER giving a female name that ends in ''A''. That's just a nightmare if you end up being transgender.

7. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm to fond of outlandish and whimsical names so there is a likelihood my kids will want to change their names when the grow up anyway... I'd even support them and help pay for their name change~ :slight_smile: I'd be sad if they didn't like the name I picked but I'd try to be understanding and helpful no matter the reason, that's the kind of mother I want to be someday. :grin:

#7 Nekoko, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  8. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also plan to give my child an ambiguous name, because I can never know what gender it may end identifying as. I was given a very feminine name and it gives me a lot of trouble. I've always wished for a unisex name. But if my child doesn't like it I will let them change it to whateber they like.

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have one even though I am 100% cis-female. Morgan used to be more masculine, but now it's more feminine and I'm glad. :slight_smile:

I agree, ambiguous names are awesome!

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd do it with the middle name. First name it's up to the mother to decide.
    At my age, I have the feeling that my partner's kids will be there already, with names and all...

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I have kids, I plan on giving them gender neutral names.

12. CapQuestionmark

Yeah, that's what it was in my case. My first name, which I don't go by, is exclusively female, while my middle name is a family sir-name that just happens to be Unisex, but more masculine. I usually include that fact when discussing it with my mother, but she always says something along the lines of "Well, your great grandmother had that name too..."

13. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely plan on doing that. I have no idea what names I would use, but I have hated having such a feminine given name, and in case one of my children is trans, I don't want them to have to deal with the same thing.