1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if I can't go on T?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by drwinchester, Feb 17, 2015.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So I'm writing here because there's a good chance that because of the nature of the medical problems I've had over the last week, I might not be able to go on T- at least not without surgical intervention.

Now it's really all on the fence now and I won't have a good idea of what to expect until I go to the doctor, who I'm seeing next week.

I don't know if anyone here has ever been told they can't go on hormones but it seems like hormones are always the one thing that "makes you male".

I look young now. But I'm really worried about getting older without being able to go on T and having trouble passing. I feel like that makes me sound vain but I already live as male right now- nothing will change that. But I don't want to be 40 and be mistaken for a butch lesbian.

I want a deep voice. I want facial hair. I want to continue looking like a guy.

But how do I cope if getting on t won't happen for years or at all?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Its not only external hormones.

You probably have seen a few people who look like their desired gender without hrt.

Imo its an interconnected system. If you feel more male and show it and live it in some way it will start to show in your endocrine system.
    There are many people who have "hormonal imbalances" which suit their character.

You can help this by avoiding eating an abundance of a few things that contain high amounts of phytoestrogens. Not like big changes, but consciously avoiding a few things.

Second, you could ask for more than one opinion.

Maybe a lower dose is possible, over a longer timespan.

Do some research. Honestly this is often not something medical people encounter every day, or they know all about it. You should do some research of your own, which you then can take to a medical professional to really talk about options and possibilities.
    This could be an example:
    GID.info | Gender Identity Disorder Information

And know that science makes all kinds of progress.
    Who knows what will be in ten years ?

Keep on keeping on.

hugs

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, the point is that you need to wait to your next appointment until you know for sure. As Jay said, maybe a lower dose could do the trick. And if he says "No", go to another doctor. Keep trying.

I might be one of those who won't make it, you know. I have a minor heart condition and I'm a chainsmoker. Right now I don't want to quit. I have already changed my diet, which took tears, sweat and blood, and I think I'm doing a lot of exercise (for a couch potatoe like me), but I'm not giving up the cigs.
    There is nothing I can do about the heart anyways, 'cause they refuse to operate until it's all f... up, so... Why bother?

If my doctor says no, I'll go to the next doctor... I'm sure I'll find someone at the end who will listen... Even if it's a lower dose... Even if I have to pay twice the price... It could happen, you know... That he makes an offer and I decide to take it... But I don't think it's something to recommend, it's just my own personal decission, being aware of all risks.

There is people however who can manage without T. There is this guy on my LGBT center, the social worker. You notice it when you hear him speaking, but he just had the looks, and he can, at times, fool people on the phone. He looks way more feminine than you, by the way, and he is passing.

Naw, you won't get more feminine with the years, trust me. Between 20-30 your features get more defined. You are over the worse changes already.

#3 Michael, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
  4. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if it helps, but I was just watching this and I thought it was an interesting perspective:

http://youtu.be/HP3sBFDp9js

He's a transgender ftm who decided to stop testosterone because he found it wasn't right for him. He talks about finding the courage to be trans/hybrid instead of trying to pass as something he's not. I actually liked some of his points (and his amazingly sincere eyes), although to be honest I think he actually passes quite well, especially since his voice had already changed.