1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am terrified of my future (ftm)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lostboy94, Feb 21, 2015.

1. lostboy94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am researching the steps of transitioning from female to male. I was googling and I found this website Steps to Transitioning from Female to Male: The Right way - the Safe way it is brutally honest here is a quote from it;
    You may lose family - Don't say "Never!", it happens every day

You will certainly lose gay friends, if you are active in the lesbian community - Don't say "Never!", it is almost a given

You could lose your job, you could get harassed at school...the list is endless.

I knew this of course, heck, I have been worrying about it for months! But for some reason reading those words has really shaken me up. I need to see a gender therapist but am waiting for two more years (until after I graduate college) to tell my parents that I am in fact a guy not a agendered person like they think I am. My relationship with them is complicated. I go to a Catholic college. So my access to one is non existent. My future is so unsure at this point and it scares the living crap out of me. This post is all over the place but if you can give me any incite please do.
    The INCREDIBLY lostone

2. ANewDawn

I think that article is presenting a very doom and gloom attitude. While it's definitely possible that your family and friends might not understand, especially at first, it's not a given that they never will. And allowing yourself to claim your identity and be confident in your body will have more of a positive impact on your life than a negative one in the long run.

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've read the page, and it seems to me the guy was being honest... Brutally honest.

There is risks, specially on the social side. I wouldn't recommend to you to come out to your parents, or do anything that would risk your stay at the college.

I came out to my father, who is very religious, but he is ok with it. Our relationship was also excellent before I came out to him, so none of us want to lose each other anyways. It's hard for him, but he is still there, trying to understand me.
    About friends and enviroment (including jobs) it depends on what kind of people you've got around. I know that for mtFs to come out is way harder, and the consequences tend to be more negative.

It's a compromise between how far you want to go, and how you think you can take it with you. Whatever you do, remember that you'll still have your private moments, when you can go whatever you feel like wearing, and you do still have a life, even if you are financially dependent on your parents, you still have a right to chose your friends and how you spend your time.

I think there is a difference on how the older generations go about it, and how we go about it. Don't forget most of them have lots of horror stories to tell, back then it was way harder, so I'd suggest you try another webs, maybe people closer to your age, and of course keep asking questions here on EC.

In my experience, feeling scared is not a permanent state, specially if you want it (and need it) badly. It's also common to feel like that at the beginning, but that paralyzing fear is not permanent. You'll get used to it until it will dissapear.

#3 Michael, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2015