1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay because we are more girl than guy?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by mulligan, Feb 21, 2015.

1. mulligan

mulligan Guest

So many people still believe that Gay Guys are Gay because we are more girl than guy - because something made us a little more feminine and that caused us to be attracted to men, not women. Or that we are Gay because we received more estrogen than testosterone in the womb. Or that our Mother's womb sensed another male coming and tried to make it a female to help preserve the species! Or that we were socialized as girls, not boys.

I mean, these are Myths aren't they? And yet they still seemed to be widely held.

Even LeVay and other scientists and researchers keep pointing to things that they say made gay guys gay because they made us a little more feminine. I thought the epigenetic studies just pointed to some "switch" that got toggled a different way for us.

My question is, do you think or feel that we are gay because we have a little more (or a lot more) feminine in us than straight guys? Did we get a little more (or a lot more) of something feminine in the womb than straight guys? Or was it just some one switch for sexual preference that for gays was programmed differently?

I just don’t feel it’s true. I feel like a man who just has a different sexual preference. I don’t feel like I have this preference for men because I’m a little more woman than a straight man.

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I don't think so. Gay transsexuals debunk this myth, as supposedly trans men are made by high testosterone in the womb.

3. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah it's just old stereotypes and myths. Gender and sexuality are not connected; you are whatever gender you are and you like whatever people you like.

4. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's a possibility. Because, it differs from the hetero-normative and gender roles of society, scientists as well as others, seek to know what causes it. I wonder what they would say caused me to be the way I am…

#4 PlantSoul, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  5. AlexTheGrey

This.

Just because we expect biological sex and sexual orientation to align (and it does in a majority of cases), doesn't mean it must. There isn't very much in the way of genetic material that males carry that females don't. The SRY gene is the important bit, but it can still trigger sex differentiation if it is on an X instead of a Y gene (e.g. biological males with XX genes).

So it totally stands to reason that folks carry all the DNA required to express sexual attraction to either sex, and ability to develop into either sex, minus the SRY trigger. Granted, this is really just spitballing on my part, but with the way genetics work, I'd be more surprised if there were no homosexual, pan/bisexual, or transgender individuals.