1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make Women's Clothes More Masculine? + Appearance Tips :-)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Folieadeux, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Folieadeux

So, I'm sort of out to my mom, but she doesn't get it. (sigh)
    I doubt that she would be okay with me shopping in the men's section of clothing stores, especially from past experiences, so I need some advice.

Is there any clothing typically sold in the women's side of the store that can be worn and still pass as masculine? I'm having trouble finding clothes that aren't slim fits, or if they aren't slim fits, they are really baggy and make me look like a small bean. Any clothing that I should look out for?
    The main thing I don't like is women's jeans, because it makes my butt look too big, and hugs my curves, but I can only get women's jeans (under my mom's patrol), so is there any way around that?

Sorry if that question was worded weirdly, but any tips you may have can be very useful to me!

Another question I have, is if you guys know of any stores (online or not) that exclusively/primarily sell unisex clothing?

~

Lastly, if any of you have tips on how to pass as a boy, that would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to do subtle things like not crossing my legs and taking up more space when walking and sitting, but that isn't necessarily cutting it, and clothing is really hard for me.

Thank you everyone! (!)

2. Acm

Acm Guest

There are women's clothes that are more unisex, you just have to look hard and try things on a lot to see how they fit. For jeans I recommend boyfriend-style jeans, they're cut more unisex than regular women's jeans.

Try watching other guys around you to see how they act, and copy their body language.

3. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also consider solid unisex t-shirts in dark colors, shirts where the shoulders are stiff and square (to make yours look bigger in relation to the hips), and style your hair in a more masculine way. Holding your jaw slightly forward and down and lifting your shoulders a little can give your face and torso a more square, masculine shape. Practice talking in a lower tone. Don't hold your eyes doe-wide--males' eyes tend to be a little squintier than females'. Walk with a little swagger, if that's your thing, and rotate your hips slightly under, so you have a wider spread to your step when you walk and your rear appears less curvy (you might end up looking duck-footed at first, but it gets easier and evens out).

4. Folieadeux

Wow guys, thank you so much! Very helpful, and I'll be sure to keep this in mind.
    First step - get a new, masculine hair cut!

5. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    I would suggest maybe (if its warm where u live) tru cutting the sleeves off of your shirts, the shoulder will stick out a lil bit and give the appearance of wider shoulders. For ur body language dont exaggerate with your hands when you talk just sort of talk casualy, and when u walk spread your legs out about shoulder width and point your toes out slightly. And for ur hair maybe get it shaved with longer bangs and do a flip bang.

6. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a wheelchair user...how exactly would I swagger? :slight_smile:

7. Folieadeux

Thank you! That is very helpful. I normally don't show my shoulders, but I'll try that out!

I don't have any experience with this, but maybe when you aren't moving, try taking up space with your arms? Like spread out more, instead of becoming small.
    Not very clear, but maybe that would help? :slight_smile:

8. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Try traditional clothing (folk costume). Traditional clothing tends not to be as tightly or revealingly cuts as modern clothing for women.

THE AFRICAN SHIRT COMPANY | Womens Shirts

Unisex Dashikis or even Dashiki's for men - (Dashiki's tend to look like dresses).

Folk costume - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Tunics

Otavalo Mountain Shirt | The J. Peterman Company

I own two pairs of these in the male version. The male version is almost like a dress.

- Poet shirt Poet shirt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uniqlo has a unisex theme with it's clothing. Its shirts for women tend to look rather boyish. They don't usually have a feminine cut. My shirts from them are often mistaken as being men's.
    Women's Shirts & Blouses | UNIQLO

9. brownie17

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi! As for my wardrobe, I have a lot of clothes bought in the men's department. Because it's comfortable for me. I bought myself a lot of men's shirts of my size and t-shirts, and the quality is much better than they sew for women.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.