1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the ffff... Food.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Michael, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok, I'll try to make it short. This is related to the diet of ftms...

In order to get there (and build some muscle), we need to modify what we eat. I'm ok about not eating junk food, but my old "diet" was based on Carbohydrates : They work fast, they are relatively cheap, and you find them practically everywhere.

Now it's all about Protein. I need to get 100gr of pure Protein everyday, and to be honest I have no idea where do I get 100gr... It seems just way too much Protein...
    I've been reading the ingredients list from food since I'm 12 or so, and my game was trying to avoid at all costs sugar and nasty stuff, plus keeping fat at bay.
    Now it's the magical-mystical Protein, the holy grial... I have no idea how to get 100gr daily, no idea, unless I start to eat a ton of meat everyday, which is out of the question... Maybe I'll enjoy meat from time to time, but sure not everyday!

So, at the end I've decided I'm going to try protein bars for bodybuilders (checking they have a good balance sugars/carbs/protein).
    They are still expensive, and I don't like the idea to taste daily those chocolate-caramel-vainilla flavours, but there seems to be no other way. They won't be a plus on my diet, they'll rather be substitutes for carbohydrates (a.k.a mainly bread and/or potatoes, which were on top of my old diet)... At least as long as I'm waiting to go on T.

So what do you think about Protein bars? Do you eat them? Or do you drink those protein shakes (powder or whatever)? Are they really the best aid in building muscle, or should I go back to the natural way, even if I don't get the 100gr daily?

I've tried beans, and I do love fish, but I'm not very fond of eating meat (the only meat I eat regularly is turkey, and maybe some chicken).

Also I wanted to ask you guys about milk. I know that soja milk aids fem hormones, but what about regular, low-fat cow milk? And what about cheese?

2. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All your questions are answered here:

Bodybuilding.com - The Ultimate List Of 40 High-Protein Foods!

As you can see, you can get away with less meat. There's a lot of foods that aren't meat on that list. The only problem I can see is that going that route might be very high calorie... I don't know, though, I haven't actually worked out what it would be. You might want to consider eating more meats. I'm sure you'll be able to find something that works for you. I definitely recommend getting protein powder. It doesn't have to be whey, if you spend a little extra you can get vegetarian powder.

3. Lazuri

I'd avoid protein shakes at least. A lot of them are.... Not as healthy as they're portrayed.

EDIT: An addendum after reading through that list; while soy and tofu are excellent sources of protein, they also contain a large amount of phytoestrogens, which is best avoided for FtM people.

#3 Lazuri, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  4. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd recommend that you start snacking on nuts and nut products. They're filling, high-protein, and they don't provide a bunch of processed fats. Only thing, though--they're a little higher in calories per serving than other protein-packed foods.

5. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, most protein bars are a big no-no if you want to stay healthy. I used to eat one after cross country practice every day, but my mom likes learning about nutrition and how to keep my body natural and healthy (one main reason she doesn't want me getting top surgery >.<). Most protein bars are full of preservatives to keep them on the shelf for a while, and while they're full of protein, they're otherwise not very healthy. If you only care about getting protein and not health, they're fine.

Carbohydrates are good for physical acrivity but don't base your whole diet on them. They're particularly useful for your meal before a workout because they'll give you more energy.

I'm also a bit lactose intolerant so I try to limit my dairy intake. Probably why I have so much testosterone in me for a person with a woman's body.

6. Folieadeux

Personally, I'm vegan, and I definitely don't have a balanced diet, but I'm working on it.

Since it is not healthy to have lots of dairy, meats, etc. if you are not considering going vegan, it is still a good idea to get plant based protein.

Beans, nuts, legumes, tofu, and even large amounts of dark leafy greens are good ways to get some extra protein in there! :slight_smile: Protein powder in smoothies could also be a good way for you, but personally, I cannot stand the texture.

I love protein bars, but I agree that they are expensive, but every once in a while could be good!

Good luck, and sorry I'm not much of a nutritionist, ha ha.

7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, protein shakes and bars are only really beneficial before a workout. They're usually pretty high in calories, and they often have plenty of carbs and fillers as well as protein.

If I can find a vegan protein powder though I do intend to make my own protein shakes in the future, so I can't say I'm entirely opposed to them or anything. I just wouldn't call them a health food per se.

8. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    High protein diets can be dangerous so, be careful. Low-Carb, High-Protein Diets: Risks (Ketosis) and Benefits

- Dairy (cheese, yogurt, and whey) Plain skyr, icelandic yogurt, has more protein than greek yogurt.
    - Eggs
    - Beans (Avoid soy as it decreases testosterone and increases estrogen levels.)
    - Meat and Fish
    - Nuts
    - Hemp Seed Oil and hemp seed protein Hemp Seed & Oil Nutrition Information - Natural Hemp Products - Hemp Basics
    - The Top 10 Healthiest Seeds on Earth | True Activist

http://www.theholykale.com/plant-based-protein-chart/

#8 PlantSoul, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  9. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd advise a more balanced approach.
    Its not only protein. Its also further substances like healthy fats, vitamins, etc...

You could think about a multivitamin product. And brewers yeast. Both should be readily available, from organic sources. Why organic ? Because it might be better for the body to process. And there might be further components included which help with processing. Look up recommendations for both or ask your doctor, if you're on MAO antidepressants for example brewers yeast should be avoided.

You could try a balanced diet. And your body should tell you if it craves a certain food.
    Vegetarian sources should be preferred imo because there are no components included which might be given to animals, like growth hormones in some countries.

You could try:
    White, kidney, and black beans
    Nuts
    oatmeal
    eggs
    a bit of ginger

Broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage could help counter the effects of estrogen rich foods.

You could look for a healthy variety so that the bodies needs are met.

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the feedback, that was really useful.

@ Lazuri - It's a pity that I have to stay away from Tofu. I don't care much about soja, I was never a big fan, but Tofu...

@ Tai - Agree that protein bars are not the healthiest thing on earth. One of them has glycerol. It would be absurd that I start to eat such stuff now, when I've avoided it all my life. And the ones I've got (50% protein) taste just too artificial, plus my stomach doesn't like them.

I've been into organic foods for years, I know about the growth hormones and all that stuff. Also the animals in some farms live (?) in awful conditions, releasing all kinds of substances than we eat later... One of the reasons I'm not so fond of meat.

The problem with organic food is that it tends to be more expensive.
    It's getting cheaper here, but there is still a difference.

I agree it should be balanced, but if I listen to my body all I hear is carbs! carbs! and (from time to time) yummy-sugary stuff! . I was pretty happy with my diet before, never overweight, and the blood tests were just perfect.

Right now I've lost weight since I started to plan to go on T, most of them fat.
    My BMI is ok, but my doctor was surprised when he checked my weight : He couldn't believe it, because I look way thinner. He said I should put on more weight, but I'm afraid he is biased with the old a bit extra flesh is healthy...

I might try yeast alone. Sounds like a free pass to drink all the beer I want :icon_wink
    I'm not on any meds right now, unless you count the extra kick of iron tablets from time to time.

It seems I just can't get muscle mass with sport, so that is why I'm trying all those protein bars. I guess you can't fight your own biology : I was never muscular, and there is not really muscular/big guys in my family... There is just one, but he had been in the army since he was 14, and still he doesn't look perfect to me.

Still, the tips you gave me were very good, thanks.

11. anonym

anonym Guest

Yes - note to all ftms. Do NOT drink soya milk or yoghurts. I tried it for a few months because I was looking for a dairy free alternative and I swear my chest got bigger.

12. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My gender therapist told me that it didn't change much unless you ate tons, but I didn't eat any before I got on T. I guess it's mostly reassurance.

After T, it doesn't really have an effect anymore.

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As others said, the protein bars and powders you see on the shelves aren't great for you. They have a lot of sugar, fats, and chemicals. I see it this way, if you can't pronounce something in the ingredients list on the flip side or know what they are; don't eat it. There are recipes for homemade protein bars, and those are generally better for you since you know what you're putting into it. Also, the shakes and stuff are mostly a meal supplement, so you they aren't really needed in my book if you're already getting enough protein in your system.

14. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There is at least one report of a man showing some breast growth after consuming large amounts of soy milk daily.
    And there are reports of women showing less menopause symptoms like hot flashes when consuming phytoestrogens regularly.
    High amounts of phytoestrogen are in soy and products like tofu etc, flaxseed, and sesame.
    Some amounts are in beans, nuts and whole grain products, but they also contain ingredients which might be helpful, like healthy oils etc.
    Tofu is said to be used by monks to promote a celibate lifestyle.
    Soy usually was fermented. It often still is in sauces. Its now used unfermented, which might give problems with digestion and processing of minerals if used regularly in higher doses.

Phytoestrogens activate receptors but have a weaker effect than estrogen. If you are mtf on hrt, you might think about if they compete with estrogen or if they activate additional receptors. And some phytoestrogens might have further effects on prolactin stimulation etc.
    On the other hand, in cis women they may have a balancing effect if there is a hormonal imbalance, like too much estrogen.
    And plants contain a mixture of ingedients, having a multitude of effects. It should be looked into which plant has which, if larger amounts are consumed regularly .

#14 jay777, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015