1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

that "its only a phase" thing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by randomly me, Feb 25, 2015.

1. randomly me

randomly me Guest

So i've talked to my therapist on Monday and we had a talk about the whole gender issue.She said she'll help me get surgery (which is awesome)but only when I'm older,because while normally trans people stay with their decision she had patients where it really was only a phase and who wanted back in their old body which isn't possible if you transitioned.Of course i wanna transition as soon as possible but i also understand her point.This whole"its only a phase thing" is something a lot of people here had to hear and in these cases its mostly ignorant but still they are cases where its actually true.on the other hand most people aren't having a phase and for example hormone therapy works the better the sooner you start.
    I just wanted to know what you guys think about this topic

2. MeganMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have heard success stories and horror stories of those transitioning.
    All I can say is take your time, your young and have your life in front of you.

Many will suggest trying living full-time without surgery transition so you get all the good and the bad of making that full transition.

Just from my experience on the crossdressing side; because we are typically part time and all that is associated with our crossdressing is fun. Then we have to pack it up and return to the life with stress. We sometimes get into what is called the " pink fog" thinking that all our troubles will be over if we just transition because every-time I dress as a woman its nothing but fun.

I have met a few who thought they wanted to transition and decided not to and a few who did and could not be more happy with the decision.

But your on the right course with seeing someone professionally to help you out.

Take your time and enjoy the journey.

3. Lazuri

It does happen. There's a reason that the process in Sweden is drawn out as long as possible, having their applicants go a year without surgery but still expected to fit their new gender role while undergoing therapy.

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I completely agree. I've been waiting for a bit and I will continue to do so for another year or two just to make sure. Being involved in sports during college will probably throw a wrench in my transition as well. I won't be able to compete on the team I want to if I transition during college.

5. Just Jess

So detransition happens, and we need to be cool to people who do. Way more than we are. While it is impossible for anyone cis or trans to go back to an old body they once had, totally doable to go back to your old sex. We need to stop treating detransition as a fate worse than death. It is hard enough for folks the second time around without us trans people ourselves destroying their dignity and treating them as failures. I need to transition once, they needed to twice.

6. Lazuri

Nobody called them failures.

Transitioning is an ordeal and in some countries it is extremely expensive, so I think that if the average person were to decide, they'd rather just do it once.

Just because people want to exercise some caution to not have to do it twice doesn't mean the entire community regard detransitioning people as failures. So cool your jets.

7. Just Jess

In addition to turning living breathing people andpeowith feelings into cautionary tales, something else we need to be more comfortable saying is, some people need to medically transition, and some just don't. Medically transitioning when you don't need to will put you where I started, and that did suck, a lot. A lot sucks about transition right now, as much as I try to focus on the positives. But plenty of people that started where I did, or end up there, find non medical means that do work for them. I know it feels a little threatening to say that. With good reason, there really are folks that will fight people like me politically with "if it worked for Jill why won't it work for Jess". The fact is, we are different people with different needs. The same prescription glasses won't help two different people see differently.

For thoss of us that do need medical help, the reason they start with hormones is because there are changes you experience directly long before your body changes. Most of us know early on if hormones are right for us. My HRT has done nothing but make life easier, even though transition on the whole has honestly been a mixed bag. The net result is constant improvement for me, and if that were not true, I would go back without hesitation.

So I think that is more in line with what your therapist was trying to say. Hormones, both the ones your body makes and ones you take, are drugs. Like any medicine, they are life changingly right for some, and life ruiningly wrong for some, and something less dramatic for most.

---------- Post added 27th Feb 2015 at 08:25 AM ----------

Nothing wrong with waiting, Lazuri. But I do have a problem with public perception, how much unnecessarily harder it made things when I started down this path, and what it has meant for friends I have known who detransitioned. I am not out to ruffle feathers, but I also won't cool my jets. I have my point of view and opinions that come from my experiences. I am past the point where I keep them to myself for fear of rocking boats, and I am glad you are too :slight_smile:

However I really don't like the tone I am causing. A fight in a support forum is beyond silly. So I have said my piece.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree.
    There is no need for such a thing here, we've got the rest of the world outside anyways. (All of us, by the way...)

About detransitioning (?) and all that jazz...

There is one side : Being tolerant about someone else's own decission. I don't care if they decide not to transition, to stop and try to go back or whatever... It's up to them and period.

Most of people bashing against those who decided to stop feel that the very existence of such people is turning a lot of (cis) doctors against transitioning, or at least more sceptical/cautious, and they are right. Now it is not their intention to do so, which means that bashing them for something way beyond their control (also completly unintentional) is wrong. Also bashing someone for wanting or aspiring to be somewhere between male or female is just against all that (I think) all we believe in (at the core) : The right to decide, regardless of how mother nature treated you.

I'm not sure how difficult is to detransition, I guess it depends (at the core) on how the human being is healthy inside his or her own skull, how well he or she deals with new problems and so on. You've got people in wheelchairs, or being blind, living a perfectly normal lives, happy lives.

Doesn't matter what you've got, at the end of the day it's only you who has to deal with it.

9. MeganMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I so agree, it's that persons journey there is not a right or wrong way to happiness.

10. shota

shota Guest

I wish I had the money to transiton so hide under the title Androgyne I just try not to care about gender ''sad face''

11. randomly me

randomly me Guest

You don't need to transition or pass to be what you feel like you are inside.I probably won't be able to transition until i'm 25 20 if i'm lucky.Maybe I won't be able to transition at all because the psychatrist doesn't accept non-binary genders.Still I know who i am and where i stand- that's all that really matters.

12. jAYMEGURL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If this whole " Sexual identity change " aspect of our lives is, as our parents say, is
    " just a phase that we're going through " then this is the longest phase I've ever experienced. Good for you, that your therapist is going to help you to get Sexual Reassignment Surgery when you're older. Just keep in mind that once the surgery is performed, you CANNOT have it reversed.

I don't care anymore, I want Sexual Reassignment Surgery, I can't stand having male genitals any longer. I never should have been a male, I am too much like my mother,
    A FEMALE.

Jaymegurl