1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTMs: How did you transition from bras to binders?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Tohru-Chan, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Tohru-Chan

Hey guys. So I got my first binder yesterday, and it is awesome. I got the GC2B tank-top. It fits perfectly. It doesn't make me completely flat, but I didn't expect it to really because my chesticles are ginormous.

Anyway, I was going to kind of.. slowly transition from the bra to the binder in public. Like not wear it to work at first, only for shopping trips or hanging out with friends, then slowly incorporate it into every day.

But alas, my last bra broke today so I guess I'm just going to wear the binder from now on! Not that I'm complaining really.

So how did you guys go from wearing bras to binders? Did you get strange looks from friends/co-workers/school mates? Did anyone ask "where'd your boobs go?"?
    Also did you come out before you started presenting male or after?

Thanks for your input in advance =]

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I didn't. Never wore bras (the correct way, anyway), except for when my mother forced me as a preteen. Quickly ended that.

Started binding with a shitty, makeshift "binder" before I came out. I was loosing weight at the time, so people assumed I was just getting skinny. Came out, then added a backwards sports bra (which still didn't make me completely flat, but with layering of clothing was as passable as possible).

By the time I got my first binder, I was out to everyone already and living as a male. At least, according to everyone except my mom, who still seems to be struggling with not calling me "she".

3. PossumJack

My chest is *extremely* small in the first place, I actually got "mistaken" as a guy even before I started binding. Literally no one even noticed when I started to use a binder since I always wear baggy clothing which was actually enough to hide my chest.

4. LexSeir

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I first got a binder I pretty much just threw away all of the bras and only wore that from then on. Nobody really noticed, and if they did they didn't comment. It made me feel better about myself, so I didn't really care what everybody else was going to think.

(the only people who noticed were my friends, because I had told them in advance due to being to pumped up for binder day :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

#4 LexSeir, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  5. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm pretty small so when I was still presenting only as female (up until like 5 months ago) I always wore push up bras, like the big kind. I don't wear those at all anymore, I've got 2 non-push up bras I wear and a bandeau and that's it. I still wear a bra to work and the last time I went to church, but other than that I always wear my binder now. Nobody has asked although I know they've noticed, but I guess they weren't that suprised. One guy I live near that's from my company has trans relatives (including a brother), first time he saw me in my binder he just kinda nodded and later asked if I was going to start T when I go back to Canada. That's about as much acknowledgement as I've gotten lol.

6. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was thinking that too how people would react to my chest being flatter (I'm not large chested but it's still pretty obvious) but if anyone did notice they didn't say anything. And if I can't wear a binder I wear a sports bra so no one sees me with much of a chest.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've hated bras since I was a kid and stopped wearing one really fast in high school and wore hoodies to conceal my chest, and switched to binding once I was a junior. Never looked back since.

8. ANewDawn

Idk who you work with, but I can't imagine anyone would comment.

9. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I switched as soon as I got mine. I just kept a sport bra in my bag in case my binder was too tight and I had to change at school (never happened). I gave away all my bras I had (all sports bras, gosh I hated them!).

I was pretty flat chested to begin with anyway, so I don't have much to conceal, and people never noticed my chest before anyway. When I started wearing it, I had no comments. I came out already when I got my first one.

10. Porter

Out Status:
    A few people
    Still presenting as female, but I am binding to make myself feel comfortable. What I do is just wear baggy sweaters overtop so that people just assume it's because of the bagginess of the sweater (I have no idea what im gonna do once it starts getting warmer.)

My chesticles are also big so I'm afraid people will notice, but so far no one has said anything.

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I need to move freely, breathe freely, and I can't stand any piece of clothing that prevents me from it.

I've been going commando for the last few months at home. When stuff moves or is in my way, I just tell myself it's not part of my body anyways. So far, I'm getting away with it.

However when I'm outside (mostly at work) I'm forced to be in top underwear drag modus, in order to avoid embarrasement. To me, anything but undershirts and shirts is very triggering so I wear... Nothing.

12. antibinary

Bra's feel wrong on me, and when I put loads of them on in an attempt to bind it failed, so I'm waiting till I move out and go to uni (I've got to wait 4 1/2 years.)

13. smokey-knows-all

aside from a day or so here and there when my mom made me wear white (i normally wear all black so i bought a black binder) i just switched straight over. people only noticed or commented if id told them i was getting the binder. I worked at a kids summer camp this summer and aside from a kid telling me i had small boobs, nobody said anything. I didn't even tell my best friend at the time because i just didn't feel like explaining it and she finally noticed a couple months later

14. shota

shota Guest

Nope people just think that I'm that random creepy gay male -laughs