1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair Troubles! (FTM)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Folieadeux, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Folieadeux

So, I'm still a teenager, meaning my hair dresser most likely not take me seriously on what hair I want, and my mom will most likely get a large part in what I get cut.

Now, my hair is definitely a big improvement from before, but it's still super long in my opinion. How do I get it cut without getting a 'feminized' version of what I want?

I don't even know what I'm looking for next time I get a hair cut appointment, though, which is another reason why I made this topic.
    Do any of you (based on my album pics) have any ideas on what kind of hair style I should get? I have no clue, but I don't think I pass with the hair I have now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

- Ian

2. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Make sure you find a place to get your hair done where the people actually listen. Your parents' contribution can be a massive help - especially if she's aware that you want a masculine cut, not a feminine one. My mother repeatedly said the second time I got my hair done that I wanted to have a masculine haircut and I got it.

I would not recommend going to a barber as of yet - because they are trained to give haircuts fit to a man's face. Unless of course, you have a chiselled jawline and cheekbones you can cut yourself on, then go right on with that one.

Of all things you need to do, you need to get your parent to make a huge contribution. They'll more likely listen to them over you, for some reason.

3. Really

What if you said you needed it shorter for the swim team? Not sure how feminine or masculine it would come out but you could find a pic in a magazine maybe to show them. Find someone who has similar texture hair to you. IE not curly...
    Good luck.

4. RalphHenry

RalphHenry Guest

I would advise you to go to a barber shop (if your mom will let you) or specifically tell someone at the salon you want a male-like cut. I made the mistake of going to a salon and not specifying exactly what I envisioned. I got a female version of what I was expecting. Which isn't bad to start out with to make the transition from long hair to super short hair easier, but you get why I wasn't 100% thrilled.

A barber shop may be a little intimidating at first, but I feel like that's the way to go if you want a good, masculine cut the first time. Your hair kind of looks like mine does right now, but a little more grown out. The last time I got my haircut I told the lady to cut it shorter than she usually does. I was a lot happier with it. It surprisingly looked more masculine and allowed me to style it differently too (so it would look more masculine). I suggest maybe just asking for it cut a little shorter than usual to get the ball rolling.

5. Folieadeux

Thanks guys!
    My mom would definitely not let me go to a barber, but I think I can make do with what I got.
    My sister always had the problem of asking the lady to crop it really short on the sides, but the woman never listened. She had a different stylist and went to a different place though.

I will just ask her to cut the sides much shorter (and show her the length I want cut off with my fingers) and I don't really know about the bangs, but I'll just ask for a trim on that one.
    I'm sort of scared to ask for a masculine cut for some reason though. What of she doesn't take me seriously? I heard a lot of people here never really were taken seriously and got a feminized version.

I'll make sure she doesn't make my sideburns pointed as well.