1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time in girl mode .. went .. not so well.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ThatOnePerson, Mar 2, 2015.

1. ThatOnePerson

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Right, so ..

I FINALLY had the courage to go out in girl mode tonight (semi, since I have NO IDEA how to put make up on.). Victory, woo!

But .. i DO look feminine since i look like my mother-- and I was experimenting with how large my bust in girl mode was .. I wanted to be modest.

Close friends who I came out to saw my hair style, the pigtails, the falsies (socks for now, which are REALLY uncomfortable.), and they still addressed me like I'm in guy mode. I really wanted to cry about it. Even though I don't have make up on, or the grooming I need yet ..

I told them I was in girl mode, but they didn't acknowledge it. They didn't judge me for the way I dressed or anything-- and i even used my girl mode voice!

I guess this is more of a rant than anything .. I did what I could tonight, and I took the opportunity to be in girl mode. I should be proud, right?

2. Sam I Am

Being in girl mode is being in a state. Being a girl, however, is having a trait. A state is passing or transient, and doesn't have to always apply, but a trait does.

Tell them you're a girl!

3. shota

shota Guest

I hate my everything at this point I'm a boy!

4. Nikinja

You should be proud. But as Sam I Am said, being a girl is having a trait. Affirm your identity by coming out as a girl and dressing femininely more often. Take advantage of the opportunity to wear feminine clothes. Tell your closest friends that this is who you are, not just some costume. In fact, I would do that first, so it doesn't surprise them so much.

Shota, I see that you've been struggling a lot, but it is rude to post so abruptly about your own issues in other people's threads. We're trying to help someone already. If you want us to help you, please just open a new thread and we'll be happy to do so.

5. Just Jess

You should absolutely be proud!!! (*hug*) This was huge!!!

It happens to all of us, no matter how great we look. My very first time out, I was with an incredibly supportive friend. The second person I came out to actually. And so here I am, out as myself completely, and we're at Jimmy Johns, and as soon as she's done ordering, "that's all for me, I don't know what HE wants".

Now no one cared. I just got my sandwich. And my voice was pretty obviously masculine - even more so after that. In a way though, I mean, everyone around me intending to be supportive, you know it made some things harder. There was just no way to explain how I felt to the people around me because of it. They didn't see it as a big deal. Why was it a big deal to me?

Honestly, as much as I want to say "don't let it get you down", I know you can't help that. It's a hit to your confidence. It just is.

So instead what I can say, is that as I have gone on and shown your courage - which again, you should be very proud of - more and more, I started to notice that even if I occasionally got misgendered, I was still treated very differently from the way I was dressed up as a boy. The way people talk to me, right of way when I'm walking, little things. It became obvious that at least at some level, people saw me as a woman.

And eventually, I think partly because of that, it got harder to go out as a boy. And when that happened, when I was truly more comfortable as a woman than as a man in front of other people, when all that crap I was raised with was gone from my head and there was no shame, when it got weird to think of myself as ever having lived as a man. I not only had no trouble getting "she" and "her" from other people, I got it sometimes when I was dressed up like a boy.

So that's what I can say. This will get easier. Every time you go out, you will learn something. It will hurt less when you get called "he". You will start to think "what is their problem" instead of "oh god oh god what did I do wrong this time". Unfortunately, the flip side of that is that it will be harder - especially places where you have been accepted as a woman - to dress up like a boy. Today I am trying to buy a car and I am just dreading going out as a boy; I just dread how it is dealing with car people as a woman even more. It will feel exactly the way you felt the other day, every time you dress up like a boy. It won't feel safe any more. But in a way, that helps motivate me to keep moving forward anyway. That part of me knows there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it's going to get there come hell or high water.

6. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Saying they are a girl might not work for them since it's showing as genderfluid in their status. Which would mean that they're sometimes a girl, boy, etc. I'm guessing?

7. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Did you told your friends to treat you like a girl or a boy by the way you dress?

8. Sam I Am

Reading comprehension fail, sorry! :icon_redf

9. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ronin used gender neutral pronouns because he wasn't sure if you were on girl or boy mode.

10. ThatOnePerson

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

To answer some questions ...

Yes, I want to be treated as a girl when I dress accordingly-- including the pronouns "she" and "her". But, unfortunately, since I didn't have the means to look completely female the other night, I let the pronouns slide.

I actually had to turn my torso to show my friends that I was wearing falsies and had put my hair into pigtails. That also didn't bother me-- but the fact they didn't acknowledge I was in girl mode bothered me.

I didn't mind so much that they used my boy name-- granted that I haven't officially chosen a girl name yet. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them!

The few friends that I talked about it to last night suggested that I get make up as soon as possible so that people could automatically see that I'm in girl mode. I'm looking into getting make up, but I'm a bit embarrassed on going to the store to get some by myself. I know-- if I explain my situation, it'll be much easier. I guess that's just another hurdle I have to get over soon.

It's been a rough two days-- I've been feeling depressed all day since I need to figure out how I can present myself as a girl when I want to and not explain it every time I go out. *Head scratch.*

11. DoriaN

It's hard enough to get old friends or family to change pronouns, but if you flip between these modes it'll be even harder.

I don't want to sound abrasive, but perhaps your appearance was not convincing enough. If you're being asked to wear makeup as a flag, there may be something lacking.

There is also a difference between looking feminine, and looking/being female. As an example even when I was presenting in male fashion I would still be thought of as a girl or was ambiguous enough that either my pronouns were confused or the observer could not tell my gender. It was not only looks, but how I carried myself, I never tried to present as something different, I was me, and me is female.

I'm saying some of this blindly though, because I do not even know what your goals are, to be female, or to play the field.
    One thing humans in general greatly desire is /consistency/, we don't like change. Flipping between a male and or female presentation is challenging for everyone, and it also confuses the motives of the individual changing.

They could go from thinking you're a guy, to a odd occasion crossdresser, to transwoman, to fetishist, to <insert here>. This is a problem of message if you identify as transfemale, but if you are genderfluid as the label you have chosen says then this is something you might have to deal with, because we are habit creatures.

I have seen and heard of others who prefer to be more androgynous having trouble portraying or being received as the gender they are trying to portray and be received as. It's because of mixed signals, because the lines got blurred.

Also it was your first time, first times are always rough. If they know what you want and are going for, then you've done one of your parts.

12. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That one Person, congrats that's hugh that you went out in girl mode.(*hug*):thumbsup: it was your first foray, and much further than many get (me included)

13. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    Gurl u need to be proud :slight_smile: my first time out went almost exactly the same, accept for my friends let me borrow a corset and makeup. And even then i was still confused with a boy, over time u will adjust to it and they will learn to say she. Even my friends still slip up and say anthony and not Anastasia or say he instead of she . I will be here for u no matter what :slight_smile: im proud of u, *hugs*

14. Sam I Am

No, I was saying that I was the one who failed at reading comprehension when I missed the part about genderfluidity.

15. antibinary

I'm sorry you're friends refused to acknowledge you, but at least they accepted your style.

16. ThatOnePerson

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for all the support you guys! ^_^ I really appreciate it.

I'm definitely going to have some things to work on, such as getting new clothing to be more "form fitting," as one of my friends said. I thought buttoning up my flannel would be enough .. but .. he said it made me look a little trashy. XD

But, I think you guys put it best .. it's more like a style than anything else to me .. I mean .. I'm not exactly a fetishist or anything like that. I really feel like a girl sometimes, but it's kind of hard to portray that side of me. Especially in public. However~! I'm really fond of having my undergarments on. It feels nice. If some people acknowledge it, it's fine .. If I have to point it out, that's fine too.

I just have to go with this at my own pace. Hopefully people will start to notice the difference between my girl and boy modes. ^_^

17. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please talk to your friends about this. Don't be afraid to correct their pronouns. If you don't correct them, they might not even realize they're doing anything wrong.

Your presentation shouldn't have to be convincing for them to use the right pronouns. You could be presenting 100% male out of necessity on a day when you feel like a girl, and it would be entirely reasonable for you to ask for she/her pronouns and entirely possible for them to use them. It might be difficult for them to get used to switching back and forth, but at the very least you should be able to expect them to try to correct themselves. "He... I mean she" is still better than "he".

Congrats on your first time in girl mode!

18. jAYMEGURL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My Dear Child :

OH, I'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!! You worked up te courage to go out dressed like a woman. You proved to yourself that it can be done. So what that people treated you like a guy ? You know that You aren't a guy anymore and you will NEVER be again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! This is your little victory, proving to the world that it just gained a trans-gender-ed WOMAN, and LOST a biological MALE. VICTORY IS YOURS!!!!! Chalk one up for our new gender.

DO NOT EVER FEEL THAT YOUR ADVENTURE WAS A FAILURE, IT WAS NOT.

Jaymegurl