1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to convince my parents to let me go femme?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CyberStar, Mar 2, 2015.

1. CyberStar

Recently I have been having some arguments with my parents concerning me being a trans*girl. They don't like it, and I have a feeling that they don't really believe it because I've only expressed it to them at all since I came out to them about a month and a half ago, which only happened because they found my Facebook (which says I'm a trans*girl on the profile page).
    So, recently whenever I want to express myself (wear light makeup, wear a girl's hoodie, be called Ash (my name is Ashley) instead of Dakota, or similar things) I get shot down by my parents. I even had some leggings, and they took those away when they found them.
    Currently, I DETEST being a guy. I hate seeing myself in the mirror because it reminds me of my male body. I want to get away from that. I'd prefer to go femme (subtly) but I'd just as soon go androgynous. That'd probably go better anyway. But my parents keep shooting me down.
    Is there any way I could bring them over to my side?

2. Juli

Depending on your parent's convictions, you might be able to convince them by showing them evidence that it's not a choice and not an illness. Perhaps, if they're willing to listen, you might be able to direct them to various medical and scientific journals on the subject. That's the best I can do, hope it helps!

3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First off, I'm sorry that your parents found out that way. My parents saw my pronouns changed on Facebook too and I got into some trouble, but I was already out to them.

Unfortunately, you may have to wait until you move out or go to college to be able to get away from their disapproval. At school, I have weight lifting first period and then I shower at the end, making it so that I just wear my clothes I wore to bed, to school. Then put on my day clothes after the shower. This makes it so that my mom can't see what I'm going to wear that day before I leave for school, she only sees what I wore to bed. So maybe you could do something similar? (Just change at school in the bathroom at the beginning of the day, if you don't have some kind of physical exercise class.) I could only see this as a problem if one of your parents is a teacher at your school. My dad is, but I can usually get away with wearing what I want in front of my dad.

Have you asked to talk to them and try to clear things up? Have you asked why you can't express yourself and explore with different kinds of clothing?

4. CyberStar

They mostly say that it's "for my own good". I can't wear mascara to my job because I was hired as a boy and wasn't wearing makeup at my interview; I am not allowed to wear girls clothes to school because I might get bullied; and so on. I had a pair of leggings that I wore. Nobody could see them. They disapproved and took them away. And if they found out about the camisole I sometimes wear under my shirt, they would disapprove of it also. Most of the expression I am interested in currently is either subtle or androgynous, not all-out feminine like they seem to think.
    One problem is, although I've known I was trans* for quite some time, I shied away from admitting it - either to myself or anyone else - until fairly recently. And when I admitted it to myself about a year ago, I didn't tell anyone else until that happened and then all of a sudden I told five. But from my parent's perspective, they didn't have much of a clue.
    Now that I've come out (sort of) and "given in" to this, all of the emotions attached to being trans* are at least a whole magnitude stronger than before. I feel like I broke out of a cage, and am free to be me... except there's all this stuff in my way.
    Basically, I am told to eschew all this feminine stuff, like shaving my body or wearing makeup (even light eye makeup) or wearing girls clothes or calling myself Ashley... while at the same time my parents ask me the most ridiculous questions (like, "If you want to be a girl, why don't you like to wear pink?").
    I don't know. This situation is a bit of a confusing mess. All that I really know for sure is that I want to be me, and I'm kind of at a loss about how to do that when my parents disapprove.

5. sweetfemme90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am not much help to you in terms of what you can do to make your parents allow you to do something. I just want to say that I noticed you're 17. Do you have future plans for moving away? My friend was seeing someone who was in a bit of mess but found ways to express themselves when they could. For example, around their parents when they went home they dressed as their parents wished, but around friends and in the city they lived in they dressed the way they wanted to.

Just hold on as tight as you can, there is an emergence of the transgender movement JUST beginning to take off. You will have a lot of opportunity in the future to finally express who you are, and this website will be one of your starting points :slight_smile:

6. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    Maybe try sitting them down with some inspirational videos about transgendered women or news articals or just sit them down and tell them u r transgender and nothing will change that, no forcing you to wear clothing u hate will change u and that if they contenue to hold u back from ur life u will have to move on and out to forget them. Thats what i would do if i wasnt 13

7. jAYMEGURL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dear Ash, ( CyberStar ) :

I know just what you mean when you say that your parents just won't let you be the person that you want to be, My mom certainly doesn't understand, and has even TAKEN all of my feminine clothes and makeup away from me several times. Thank goodness I have friends who know of my love for being a woman, and have replaced my clothing and makeup. But it still hurts that my Mom and sister, ( my brother knows that I'm a trans-gender-ed woman, but he won't even acknowledge my existence anymore ). My dad is not even part of my life anymore, ( alcoholism ). won't recognize the fact that I am a pre-op trans-gender-ed woman named Jayme. I used to have the cutest pair of pink leggings with lacy ankle cuffs, but when my sister saw these, she took them outside and burned them.

I hate being a boy with a FUCKING passion, I should have never been born a male.
    I look too damn good in women's clothes. I, too, hate looking in a mirror and seeing a damned guy, Do you know how hard it is to pee with almost NO dick I can't wait to have surgical castration, and a vagina replacing my former crotch. I AM A WOMAN
    I just keep telling myself over and over, I have reached the conclusion that I just don't care anymore if my mom and sister don't want to recognize me as Jayme.

If your family ever DOES finally recognize you for the beautiful ASH, please let me know how this goes.

Jaymegurl