1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmm

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Juli, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Juli

I don't know if female is the word for me. I'm not all that feminine, and definitely not a "girl". I don't shave, dress up, wear makeup, like long hair, or any of that. All in all, I don't feel like female really says anything about me besides the set of genitals I happen to have.
    On the flipside of that, I don't want to complicate my identity further by deciding I'm no longer female, but am androgynous or something of that nature. Furthermore, I have a lot of trouble even seeing the importance of gender (on a purely personal level, you do you). Should I even bother with it? :bang:

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

You might just be a masculine female.

Screw gender roles, flaunt your masculinity proudly.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with him. You don't have to fit into feminine gender roles to be female.

I would argue that a lot of cis people don't strongly feel their gender or see the importance of it because it doesn't become important until it doesn't match how you're seen. Cis people are cis because society sees them as one gender, and they don't object. I am trans because society sees me as one gender, and I object (and I personally object strongly). This is not the same as objecting to gender roles. Everyone hates those.

If you don't want to complicate your identity, then don't. If later on, you decide that you are uncomfortable identifying as female, then explore that further. And, of course, if you do feel uncomfortable IDing as female right now, keep exploring. Find a label that fits. I am simply giving advice based on what you have described to me, which is being uncomfortable with female gender roles, not a female identity.

#3 darkcomesoon, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  4. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'd say start thinking outside of the box.
    Society only sees black and white but maybe you're grey.
    You can be happy enough with having a female body but feeling more manly than girly.
    If you find yourself unhappy about it change it.
    You don't have to complicate things if you don't like it.

---------- Post added 7th Mar 2015 at 08:03 AM ----------

totally agree with that!

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, you should, unless you want to spend the next ten years or so in denial, or supressing stuff. At some point you should deal with it.

To bother with it doesn't mean becoming obsessed with it or being at risk of anything. Just do some research, ask yourself questions and get in touch with a LGBT center, see if you can get to know some gender non-conformist folks, be it trans, genderfluid or whatever.

6. Juli

Thank you all for the great advice! Very helpful and insightful!

7. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As you said, you do you.