1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redefining my identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by IvorySteel, Mar 12, 2015.

1. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    OK, so long story short - a few months ago I joined this forum while in a phase of questioning my gender. I thought I might be trans, and started identifying as such on here and other websites. It felt pretty right at first and I very seriously considered transitioning, but then after a few weeks, I started thinking otherwise, and for a while was perfectly happy being male with a male body. Then again, I started getting confusing feelings, and came back to this site, again IDing as trans. But again, those feelings faded and I dismissed the idea completely.

I've been self-reflecting away from sites like these for a little while, and now it's much clearer to me. I am now very happily identifying as non-binary. The closest term to describe my experience would be genderfluid, but I prefer the term non-binary for myself. It gives me the freedom to just be me and not worry about what anyone thinks, and I'm not expected to fit into either box, when I know my preferences will shift over time.

About a week ago, I talked to my girlfriend about it. I told her about how I feel more comfortably identifying as NB, not strictly male or female, and she was incredible supportive. She told me I could do anything I liked, whatever made me happy, and she would love me anyway. :3 It was amazing and I'm very happy I have her. And then two days ago, I told my teammates. They were incredibly supportive and happy for me. I'm not surprised, one of them is non-binary themselves and another is dating a NB person, but it was still lovely to have them know.

So there we have it. I am now "out" to everyone who really matters to me, employing an open-closet policy for everyone else. I'm here, non-binary, and finally not worrying about my bloody gender. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well if this is what feels best for you that it's great, congrats

3. randomly me

randomly me Guest

congrats
    it's good to hear everyone is so accepting(*hug*)

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay! Congrats on figuring it out :slight_smile: I'm glad coming out went well for you.

5. GaspingJasper

Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations!