1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shopping for clothes

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by quietisviolent, Mar 12, 2015.

1. This is more like a little story about my day, but I thought maybe it would help others too.

Today was the first time I went shopping for men's clothes (with is not my birthgender as you would have figured) on my own. I felt scared and nervous at first but it was easier when I thought I was just shopping for 'my boyfriend' who had the same sort of body as I so I 'had to try it on to see if it would fit him'.

I don't have a boyfriend, but it was easier for me to go shopping with the idea that the clothes weren't for me, so if people would ask (which they didn't) I could say that.

I don't know if this helps anyone who's in the same situation as I, but it worked for me so maybe it will help you too.

Also I'm veeery happy and proud that I finally dared to buy men's clothes. It was much easier then I thought it would be.

(*hug*)

2. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Every time I've shopped for female clothes I've had a stream of excuses ready in my head - christmas presents for female relatives, picking up something for girlfriend, etc... of course nobody's ever actually asked. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's a nice safety net though.

And congrats on buying men's clothes, big step :hug:

3. Thank you!!

I just needed to realise that nobody cares about what you're buying. The salesman(? my English isn't that great) was actually talking to the woman before me that women more often buy clothes for their sons/husbands/etc. than men do for themselves. He said he'd see more women in the store than men, and that made me feel a little more comfortable.

4. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i don't buy clothes a lot but when i went to the store today to get some female shirts i used the same methode (if anyone would ask i'd just say it's for a girlfriend..
    Nobody did ask but it's nice to have an answer ready.
    I checked it out online so the only thing i had to do was picking it up really.