1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binders that you can excercise in?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nate can draw, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Nate can draw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a member of my school's colorguard, and I like to work out and do other recreational activities as well. However, hearing horror stories about the dangers of binding while exercising, I'm really afraid to do it. On the other hand, it's really difficult to hide my D-cup breasts in public without a binder. As an added bonus, I haven't come out to my family yet, so I can't get any professional breathable binders online (I don't have my own credit card); all that I can bind with is a back brace, multiple sports bras, and bandages. Does anyone have any cheap or DIY binding methods that I can do rigorous activities in and still keep my gender identity from my family?

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't recommend binding while doing exercises because it can really restrict your breathing. I also am cautious to recommend DIY binders because you can break a rib or hurt your back (or worse) if it's done improperly. I say this from experience with using a back brace one year and I nearly blacked out a few times, and that was outside of gym class.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if you got a proper binder, you still should not exercise in it. Even the best made, safest binders restrict breathing. I know it's not fun, but I wouldn't advise exercising in more than a sports bra. At most, layer two sports bras, but make sure it's still really easy to breathe in. If at any point you have trouble breathing, take one off.

Definitely do not bind with bandages. The only two DIY methods of binding that I have found that I have consistently heard are safe are layering sports bras (only two, maybe three if it's still comfortable; what's most important is that nothing hurts and you can breathe normally) and the camisole binding method (get a cami with a built in shelf bra, put it on backwards, put the elastic over your chest where it will compress it the most and roll the rest of the cami up over it; this likely doesn't work too well for people with larger chests). I would still not do either of those while exercising unless you are very careful and very sure that it doesn't restrict your breathing at all.

Unrelated to exercising: if you have the money for a binder and just don't have a credit card, you could maybe ask a friend to buy it for you and have it shipped to their house, and then just pay them back in cash so your parents don't know. I know it's not an option for everyone, but it's worth suggesting :slight_smile:

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Exercise in private with no one around. Binding while exercising is apperantly dangerous, and I'm sure you don't want to go out unbound.

There are many ways to exercise without being in the gym.