Can non-trans folk get reassignment surgery?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PlantSoul, Mar 13, 2015.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Can non-trans folk get reassignment surgery? Especially, in the US? I've been having a hard time finding information on this so, I'm hoping there's someone on here that can help. If not, I'm going to have to go Argentina.

The only reassignment surgeries and how doctors approach this, that I know of in my country, are for Trans people. I know that if someone wants to get reassignment surgery, that they have to see doctors and gender therapists before they can get approved. From my understanding, most doctors/therapists only know of Transgender. They don't know about other gender identities. I've heard of people who went to doctors, not sure if they were trans or they knew that they weren't trans, but the doctors insisted that they were and "forced" them into getting surgeries that they didn't need. My fear is that I'll get doctors who insist on me being trans,when I know for a fact that I'm not, or be told that I can't get the surgeries that I want done.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe take a look at Neutrois Nonsense? It's a blog by a neutrois person who's had top surgery and a hysterectomy. This post in particular might be helpful.