1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shopping in the men's department is hard

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ydnam, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Ydnam

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey guys! Recently I've been trying to start dressing in a way that I feel more comfortable. But women's clothes are usually way too feminine for me. So I've been trying to start shopping in the men's department, but aside from tshirts, everything seems to fit me weird. Probably because I have a pretty feminine shape and, obviously, mens clothes aren't designed with feminine shapes in mind. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on finding the right fit or if any styles tend to fit femininely shaped people better? Thanks for any help you guys can give :slight_smile:

-Mandy

2. Tomgirl

I had this problem too, especially with the chest room in the sweaters. I would take an xl in women's sizes, but sometimes just a small in men's (which is ridiculous, to say that "very large" women are smaller than "small" men). Anyway, due to the chest, I usually had to go up to the medium.

I find the styles at TipTop (in Canada) and Walmart fit ok for things like pull overs.

If you still have no luck, sometimes Marks work warehouse has female items that look very masculine, as they sell both women's and men's... But the men's usually don't fit me right.

It just frustrates me how they sell actually warm, wooly sweaters that cover your torso for men, but in women's shops a "sweater" is made of thin material and had a deep v neck exposing half your chest... That won't keep you warm!

3. Ydnam

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    great advice! really helpful. thanks :slight_smile: do you have any ideas on pants too? things get weird in the waist/hip area because I've got pretty wide hips. but I don't think there's much help for me there since pants are usually pretty much the same.

4. cakepiecookie

Joining this thread because I have the same problem. I have big hips and a small waist and everything looks baggy and weird on me. I know there are several online stores that sell clothes aimed at andro/butch women but they tend to be rather expensive.

5. Ydnam

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    yeah I've heard of a few online stores but I can't even dream of affording their stuff lol

6. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ever thought of learning to make adjustments to clothes yourselves? Its a big thing to learn and may take a lot of time but in the end it would most likely be worth it? It would be cheaper than buying specialized clothes anyway... but I guess it would take a lot of time to adjust every item of clothing... I dont know. Just a thought I had :confused:

7. Tomgirl

For jeans, I've had the best luck at thrift shops. It started by accident when I wore my brother's wide leg skater jeans to school once. It had somewhat excessive crutch space but was fine otherwise. Yes, the wide hips are a problem, but I find that going up a waist size and just wearing the jeans slightly lower on my hips works... as long as I pair it with a long shirt to cover everything. I'm personally not into the low riding hip hop look, but slightly lower is fine.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nice one, I agree its cheaper, and the skills are valuable for lots of reasons.

What about the kid's section, or teens section? I've found nice stuff there, including good warm sweaters.

9. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi!

Do you want to look more masculine, or do you just want to wear something closer to men's clothing? If it's just the latter, I bet you can totally rock feminine-cut collared shirts (and maybe a tie) and either straight-leg or skinny slacks. Then again, maybe it's just me. ;D I'm a bit androgyne, you see--I wear women's clothes in a masculine way so it leaves everyone wondering. I find that this fits my form better. If you're very petite, finding men's clothes in the right fit might be an issue. You might have to shop around (even delve into the teen's section) if you can't find something suitable.

10. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    This is actualya good idea, i love taking up my clothing because i have been loosing weight so every time i have to take up my stuff its awesome. Oh and i would try looking for fitted jeans, they tend to work a lot better with curvyer figures and they hide that ladyness