1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agender Surgery?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Lunastel, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Lunastel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm not comfortable being a female physically though socially I'm pretty feminine. Are there agender surgeries (removing stuff)? I only know about trans surgery.

2. Acm

Acm Guest

Well you can get stuff like breast removal, hysterectomy, etc. Anything close to a bottom surgery to remove stuff would be illegal in the US and lots of other places though, it's classified as mutilation and is very illegal.

3. Kalub Alec Ross

What do you mean when you say bottom surgery to remove stuff? Isn't a hysterectomy bottom surgery to remove stuff? The following are legal:

Vaginectomy, which I'm pretty unfamiliar with but is mainly for vaginal cancer. Removal of parts of the vagina.

Oophorectomy (fav word ever) is the removal of the ovaries.

Falloposcopy: removal of fallopian tubes

The problem with a lot of these is that they're usually done for cancer patients or people who have histories of pregnancy or childbirth issues. Therefore, few FTMs qualify, and I'd imagine even fewer non-binaries would qualify. You need to "prove" that you are experiencing "significant clinical distress" due to your current anatomy in order to start the process of referrals, therapy, physical and psychological assessments, just like binary trans people.

Also very pricey.

In terms of top surgery, mastectomy, which would be the same for binary FTMs as for non-binary transmasculine or agendered people.

Don't know if that's helpful?

#3 Kalub Alec Ross, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  4. Acm

Acm Guest

Sorry, I should have clarified. I wasn't specifically referring to those procedures mentioned, I was talking about a complete "neutralization" surgery for the genitals. I should have specified.

I didn't know that trans people couldn't have those surgeries though, I thought they could have them, but would probably just have to pay out of pocket instead of having it covered by insurance :confused: I could be wrong though.

5. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Or, you could always go to Argentina for gender surgery. They passed progressive gender laws, allowing people to change their bodies with the approval of a doctor or a judge. That's where I plan to go once I have enough money saved up. (!)

6. Kalub Alec Ross

Yes, they're "considered cosmetic" for trans people (which is BS) so they have to be paid for out of pocket (also BS - stick us with a bunch of dysphoria, and a high chance of homelessness, unemployment, abuse, etc, and tell us we have to pay up to 10s of thousands of dollars for surgeries just to make use feel like semi-worthy of living in our bodies - but I digress with major generalizations)

I also found this link which lists a bunch of surgeries by name, some applicable to agendered people, some not (scroll down a bunch)

7. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trans surgery in Canada, at least here in Ontario, is considered medically necessary... As far as I'm aware, that includes hysto, opho, vaginectomy, meta/phallo, scroto, urethral lengthening and mastectomy and T ofc. Of course you have to wait a year and a half to see someone at CAMH and cross your fingers they are on your side etc and then the waiting list for the surgery(s).... anyways.
    I'm 99% sure you can get any of those done in the states. Depending on your insurance, may even be covered, but probably not.
    As for a non-binary person... I honestly don't know. It might be harder. And depending what you get you really would have to be on hormones for the rest of your life (whether that be T or E). You would have to to convince them that you are in clinical amounts of distress about it, most likely and that it's not something that would go away. But even then, I dunno. It'd probably be easier to get top surgery than any lower surgeries. I've heard of non-binary people getting top surgery done before.

#7 Ronin, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  8. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Those who say it takes years of therapy/assessments for trans people.. That's a lie. At least where I live, it isn't like that anymore.

9. SmolAce

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Really? I had no idea that Argentina was that awesome, maybe I'll move there myself one day :3

10. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
  11. AbbyNormal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Isn't there a big difference between changing "gender identities" and undergoing surgeries to reassign/alter one's physical manifestations of sex?

12. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say there's a difference. However, I think most people liken the two as going hand in hand. As if it's mandatory. Like, if you say that you don't identify as being the sex you were born with, people seem to expect that you'll go on hormones/have surgery. You don't have to have surgery if you don't want to have surgery.

#12 PlantSoul, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  13. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are places where it's mandatory to have sex reassignment surgery if you want to change your name and gender marker.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender_rights_in_the_United_States
    You can look up transgender rights in other countries to get a better idea.

14. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Take South East Asia into consideration. A lot of people go there for sex changes. I've heard good things about the quality of the end results. Do your research. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do a removal without adding something. I'll give you a link to a place in Thailand I found.
    http://pai.co.th/