1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discovering gender identity through meditation??

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by wontwalkblindly, Mar 16, 2015.

1. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Finding Your Authentic Self: Free Relaxation Script
    i was listening to this script during a meditation in my psychology class and when it was specifically talking about recognizing exactly who you are, something just came to me that i am either a boy or genderqueer. I'm leaning more toward genderqueer because i dont really I just dont really feel like a boy? at least not completely? and i dont feel completely like a girl either, but moreso?? or not?? idk. im still really confused.
    but anyway my question is: is it possible to (at least partially) discover your gender through mediatation? experiences??

EDIT: I've questioned my gender before so this isnt an entirely new concept for me, but maybe thats affecting me because it was just in my brain?? idk im new to meditation too and everything is difficult.

2. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see why not. Lot's of people have epiphanies when they are quiet or relaxing, it just means you're starting to figure out your gender identity more so than you have before and that's a positive thing.

3. RainDreamer

Totally. Meditation can be used a method of self contemplation and reflection in calmness. When meditating, you can really think deeply about who you are, examine the fragments of identities that you are made of individually.
    It will not always result in an answer, however, and sometimes it will make you even more confused than before.
    Meditation is simply a method of focusing your mind and direct it inside you and study your mental states consciously. Where to focus, however, is totally dependent on you.

4. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It makes perfect sense.

5. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i figured out who i was after a long period of meditating everyday and doing some deep self reflection. to me it seems like an obvious and very affirming way of figuring out who you are. to meditate means to look deeply. and identity makes up the core of our being

6. Tomgirl

I'm just starting to explicitly understand what I've implicitly known forever. As a kid, I would never identify with female characters in the media because they were feminine, but rather whatever character match my personality traits ( btsony smurf, Raphael, etc) . to me, personality mattered more than gender. I thought everyone was that way, but then I found out I was wrong.

So now it turns out that I'm psychology androgynous and fit with masculine or feminine roles depending on the situation

7. Hela

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think meditation is a great way to discover who you are. It gives you a few moments of peace, when influence from the world is at a minimum. That is the perfect time to reflect on who you think you night be. If that does work for you, then great!

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

meditation is a good way to center our minds, to be present to ourselves, and to get to know who we are in many respects. this would certainly include coming to clarity about our gender identity.