1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone know anything about nhs transition and mental health

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by GayJay, Mar 18, 2015.

1. GayJay

Can mental health problems stop the NHS giveng you the go ahead for transition

Like T can impact your mood/ personality so ddoes anyone know if theres specific mental issues that can stop you
    I just wanna be prepared in case im denied T. Don't wanna go into it believeing im gonna transition if I might not

2. I'm_Danni_x

I would have thought that the nhs would recommend that you would get referred to a mental health service by your gp (if you need it), to help rule out any mental health problems. From there they would be happy for you to be referred to a gender identity clinic if you still feel the same after therapy. But I reckon if it's a severe mental health problem then that would happen, but if it's not then you wouldn't be denied access to transitioning. I can see where your coming from, I think it's better to receive help for your mental health before transitioning.

3. GayJay

It's a incurable mental issue, like medication can relieve symptoms but I don't see tge point in palliative treatment therapies. So I'm hoping my refusal to take tranquilizers doesn't GP against me.
    I personally don't believe in mental health. Think its all a money making game, but I also have the same attitude to some GIC's

4. anonym

anonym Guest

They won't prevent you from transitioning if you have mental health issues, as long as you have them under control and are sure and ready that transitioning is definitely right for you.

5. GayJay

Ah thats good news, thanks dude.

Now I just need to get it under control