1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exploring gender in an unfriendly environment

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Florestan, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was raised to follow really strict gender roles. Men and women were both supposed to look and act differently, and blurring the differences was wrong. Now my beliefs have changed pretty dramatically, but I'm still in a place where defying those gender roles would get me in serious trouble.

Figuring out my own gender would be a lot easier, I think, if I could just wake up one day and decide to wear a dress to my classes. But even when I'm in my own room, I have to worry about my roommate, so there's not much I can do. My computer is the only thing that gives me any real privacy.

Is there anyone else who's had to deal with this? How have you worked around it?

2. CapQuestionmark

I live in North Carolina, and, in the part where I am, a lot of people are still hardcore conservative. I'm lucky enough to go to a school where a lot of the students are from Military families and move around the country, making them usually pretty open to just about anything.

Of course, me being Female-to-Male makes me be in a different boat as you, I still face similar problems. It's usually not that big of a deal when a girl dresses boyishly, but that has its perks and its vices. What I wear most of the time goes unnoticed and I don't usually mind that, but that also means that people still assume I'm a girl. Now I don't get angry with them or depressed that my message wasn't received as I had hoped, I'm almost glad that they go on the information they have, as opposed to listening to rumors.

But I'm still young and have to look out for myself, and I've come to general accept the fact that it will take time to be able to express myself freely. So now I'm just waiting for the right time and place, and I know that that will come for you too.

Just keep holding on and stay strong, if you ever need to talk, I'm here! :slight_smile:

3. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks! I've been getting a bit depressed about it all lately, so it's nice to be told I can pull through.

4. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was, too. I tried very hard to fit in at school and I had enough quirks to deal with and never engaged with my girly side. But now the pressure is off I feel it's coming out all over my personality. :eek: I've been able to get away with it for a bit because people know I'm not quite normal anyway but also I've approached the line without actually crossing it. Plus I'm lucky to live in a relatively liberal city. You could try wearing pink in a subtle way - there but not the main colour. I'm not an American so I don't know how far that would be pushing things where you live. Or maybe you could take up an activity which is not considered to be that manly. But you're right: letting go of gender roles is hard, even in a liberal area.