1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biology

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CapQuestionmark, Mar 22, 2015.

?

Who do you think Biology class is most awkward for?

1. Trans*Males (FtM)

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Trans*Females (MtF)

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Gays

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Lesbians

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Straights

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Asexuals

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Genderfluids

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  8. Other

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CapQuestionmark

I really hope that I'm not the only one who feels uncomfortable and defensive in a Biology class. It's incredibly awkward, especially since there's no one in that class that I'm really good friends with enough to come out to.

On the plus side, since I appear cis (most of the time) no one really questions when I ask things about gender and sexual habits and the like. But I have a feeling that my vast knowledge about hormones and bodily changes is starting to get others attention...

Ugh, it's just a really touchy subject for me, and I was hoping I wasn't alone.
    I'd like to know how others feel, and to know who you think it affects more.

2. Im Hazel

I don't find it awkward. I find it offensive that it only covers subjects for straight people, but it isn't awkward. It's just another area of science. I have an above average knowledge of most areas of science (if I can say that without sounding like an arse), so I don't have a problem in that area. I haven't actually done this topic since I started thinking about gender / sexuality, so it could get awkward though.

3. PossumJack

I don't find I awkward to discuss anatomy itself, but it does get uncomfortable when people use "woman" and "biological female" interchangeably :/

4. yoonicorn

It isn't/wasn't on my syllabus. I never got sex ed, although I was once told to research some STIs independently because I finished an assignment early. Other than that, all I've actually needed to know was what a sperm cell looks like and remember that testosterone is 'male' and oestrogen is 'female'. :eusa_doh:

5. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have a lab report on photosynthesis grrrrrr:bang: lol fml

Anyways, there was a discussion in class where the topic of homosexuality and neuro-anatomy was brought up. Basically someone said gay guys have female brains, and gay girls male brains. That was so uncomfortable so I kept silent. It's strange to hear something that apparently defines you, but you don't really agree with, because this same person then began to use gays in fashions and arts as "evidence". How agitating!

6. Queero

Oh yeah. Sex Ed was awkward.
    It was all about straight people, and quite a lot of it was about female reproductive health and pregnancy and stuff. Really almost none of the things they were talking about applied to me in any way. The only thing that did was when they were talking about drugs/alcohol, and those didn't really either as I don't do drugs or drink, but at least the playing field leveled out then. STD/STIs also applied, but not much else did.
    I don't remember my Health course ever even mentioning homosexuality.
    The whole thing was kind of one of the times that helped me realize I wasn't a girl. I read the material that was about males, and I did really well, almost never had to consult my notes. Read the material about female stuff, didn't do nearly as well, and ended up googling multiple questions because my notes were just doodles.

7. CapQuestionmark

Yeah, when it came to Sex Ed, I barely listened...
    Although, I did tend to make the joke that the only reason I would listen would be for research for my fanfictions, but those are all about M/M relationships anyway (besides Mpreg stuff...)
    Wow...that just went in an entirely different direction...haha, sorry!

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yeah, biology...

Thankfully, we didn't talk about human reproduction in biology (no, we tackled way more disgusting stuff, like organs *barf*). Though, in sex ed, it was all about preventing pregnancy. I found the stuff useless and annoying, but I didn't know I was trans yet, so it didn't feel as awkward.

No, stuff started to get awkward when I got dysphoric and researched period pain remedies and saw all the women, girl, lady stuff. Seriously, it's already bad enough, do you HAVE to reuse the words over and over again?? That and when you research pregnancy. All girl, lady, women, feminine, blah, blah, blah. It's more annoying than awkward, though.

9. Queero

Haha, that's funny. So many of my conversations this week have taken random turns towards fanfic.

It was weird, because I still hadn't figured out yet that I wasn't a girl. And yet I would constantly think things like "ugh, if I have to hear about 'breasts' one more time...maybe some people are into that, but not me. EW." I was a little slow.
    Mine was an online program, and it was just completely ridiculous in nearly every way. The school didn't want to appear racist, so they made all of the people colors like blue, lime green, and a shade of pink that almost hurts your eyes. And they didn't have faces. They were little animations, and they were SO BAD.

Some of their stuff was unintentionally hilarious. There would be random rhymes about healthy foods, doctors who give thumbs-ups, and slamming coffins. The coffin slamming thing almost made up for the rest of the course. Almost.

10. GayJay

We did the reproductive system, the eeffects of sex. I didnt mind it so mmuch because girls and boys learnt it all together. Like some people got split by their sex and just learnt about their own reproductive system.
    After we all learnt about the menstrual cycle, the teacher set the girls a homework. Making a bracelet we were expected to wear, based on the cycle.
    It was colour coordinated with the red beads being the days of bleeding of course.. It was discusting. I refused and got excluded from school for a week :')

However psychology is awkward af. A2 has a topic on gender. Learning about transgenderism and watching everyone react by saying 're thats messed up, how can you tthink that' with even the teacher in agreement and talking about how they have sex and what mental illnesses they must have.

#10 GayJay, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015