1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i get nervous when presenting with feminine characteristics

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MrK21, Mar 22, 2015.

1. MrK21

Hey guys. I have been recently trying to present myself with a few feminine characteristics. I never plan on wearing a dress or a wig, because I am a guy lol.
    The only feminine characteristics I have presented are a pink rainbow shirt and nail polish.
    To my surprise nobody I knew from anywhere has freaked out. However the other group of guys gave me what the fuck looks which yeah was kinda expected. Whenever I wear the shirt and/or nail polish I just get nervous as hell in public. Any advice?

2. Gen

Gen

Its completely reasonable. Transgender women and gender noncomforming men are statistically the most likely to receive agressive or violent reactions for being themselves in public. I am not saying this to discourage you; I am saying this for two reasons. First, accepting that there are those in the world who will be extremely unaccepting and judgmental towards you is an important part of becoming confident and secure within yourself. The more that you make peace with that fact that encountering ignorance is a part of life the easier it will be to brush it off whenever you do.

The second reason is a bit more harsh of a reality. Members of the LGBTQ community as a whole preach about always being open and genuine about you identity, but there are times when you will want to fade into the background. There are times when playing a role and miniciking the norm is essential. I am definitely not recommending that you prevent yourself from expressing yourself in general, but it is always important to be aware of your environment and understand that there is nothing wrong with doing what is necessary to ensure your safety whenever you feel too uncomfortable, judged, or even threatened.

The overall anxiety does lessen with time though.