1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Androgyne?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Asexual Pirate, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Asexual Pirate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've managed to figure out my sexual and romantic orientation already and now I want to finish defining my gender identity. Yes, I like everything in neat little boxes, it helps me process life better.

My personality has always pretty much been equal parts masculine and feminine, but I don't feel like I fit into the conventional gender roles for either. I really love to wear female clothing, and have exclusively worn skirts for almost 5 years now (although that stems from both my love of skirts and my dislike of showing my legs). I feel fairly comfortable with the gender and sex assigned at birth, but I also feel like I have a male trapped inside of me (his name is Arthur). At the request of my counselor, I took the Bem Sex Role Inventory and the results showed that my personality was androgynous. I'm still a little confused at what gender identity I fall under.

I know that asking someone else what your own gender identity is doesn't really mean much since it's just me who can say who I am. Still it's nice to compare notes and talk with others who might have the same gender identity or has been through the same process of figuring things out. Do I fit the definition of androgyne, or am I closer to another gender identity?

2. Acm

Acm Guest

Not fitting into gender roles/having a masculine side doesn't necessarily make someone an androgyne, it could just mean you're gender nonconforming. Most people aren't 100% masculine or feminine, and some people are just more androgynous than others. If you're comfortable with your assigned gender, then to me it sounds like you could be an androgynous girl. But like you said, only you can say for sure.