1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

school support for gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lonewolfblair, Mar 23, 2015.

1. lonewolfblair

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    so at my school I can't seem to find a lick of school based support anywhere without approaching teachers (which I am yet to do) and among the student body most see the idea of portraying as the opposite gender as a funny idea that is not to be taken seriously. so I pose the question what is support like at your school?

2. Hizaki

At mine, there is an LGBT group, and they brought up the idea of a gender-bending day. Sadly, I think it's a terrible idea because the general public will simply laugh at those who participate. For your question, I think this shows that it just isn't a "normal" enough idea to the vast majority of people. If you think a teacher could help, you should talk to them.

3. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I was in my last year of high school (way back in 2006-7 ;-:wink: there was an explosion of support. Within maybe 6 months, every teacher's office had a safe space sticker, a GSA was created, 2 teachers came out, and we had a very successful Day of Silence. I don't know if there were any out trans or non-binary people at that time, although since graduating I know of at least 3 of us and looking back, none of us presented very strongly cis.

There was a little bullying; in my case I had like a month of being called lesbian in the halls, but only when my friend Sarah and I walked around holding hands. Honestly, it wasn't bad.

4. Folieadeux

There is no LGBT support group in my school (it's junior high, but in my high school I think there is one), but I think my school councilor is really helpful in these issues. She helped another trans guy with coming out to the school, so hopefully once she responds to my email I'll be able to see her in person.

Good luck! <3

5. Alive

There is a GSA at my school so I get support there. I also get support from my guidance counselor and one of my teachers. Dressing as the opposite gender is done mostly as a joke at my school

6. lonewolfblair

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for the feedback! So from what i can tell support is so-so at schools, i personally have applied for a position on my schools student representative council and hope i make it so i can introduce gender support into the school.