1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your choosen name choices?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by GayJay, Mar 30, 2015.

1. GayJay

Just curious how you choose your name?

I know some people just use the closest name to their birth name, or what their parents would have called them if they were that gender.
    Some people like to get as far away from their birth name as they can.
    And some people really think about it. Their choose it by names they like, their meanings ect.. and experiment with different names until they find one they feel suits them.

So I'm just wondering how anyone chose theirs.
    I personally just went with the closest name I could to my birth name, and tried to keep it as ''simple and 'normal' as I could.
    If I were American I would have gone for Jesse, because that's the closest average name to mine. But seem as their aren't many British kids called Jesse, I just went with Jay.

2. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Nothing of the above...the name just kinda fit.
    Don't know how to explain it really...

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I chose Masaya, "elegant one", after going through quite a few names.

4. wolf of fire

Funny story here:
    I once asked (out of genuine curiosity) what I would have been called if I and been born the opposite sex. That name was Isabelle, I remembered it as Elizabeth for some reason and started calling myself it in my head. Anyway by the time I found out I was already calling myself it (internally) so yeah.... My female name is Elizabeth or Liz.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose Alexander as a nod to an old friend who is an indie filmmaker, who is part of the reason why I want to get into the film industry, and Jerick (middle name) is a tribute to an actor, singer, and drag performer who helped me get through some of the worst days of my depression.

6. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was researching old names for a character in a story and i came across the name Luvina. it sounded pretty and just seemed to fit for me. So i went with it

7. Lazuri

I used to roleplay on a a private World of Warcraft server where I had a character named "Abigail." For all intents and purposes, that character was my first representation of myself--the real me.

So when I realized I was trans and jumped on the transition train, I picked "Abigail" as my new name.

8. I've had many names that I went by, but I ended up choosing Angel because it was an online alias I had on a fanpage I owned once. I also thought it was nice since I'm not super masculine and it's a somewhat gender neutral name (over half of the people named Angel are guys.)

9. lonewolfblair

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I initially wanted to use the name Lilith but settled with Blair since my best friend had a friend called lily and i didn't want to cause confusion, i also tossed up using the name Jessica but there was enough confusion in group with to Jessica's let alone another one.

in the end I plan to change my first name to Blair and my middle to Lilith.

I little while before I realized I was trans (and looking back on it there were clues hidden in here) I went through a phase of wanting to change my name since I was bored with James
    and I remember find Lilith wishing I could have that name, eventually I found Blair which is a unisex name and put it on the back burner when the phase burned out and when I realized I was trans I needed a name and since Lilith wasn't an option I went with Blair

10. Outlier

My birth name is Elizabeth so at first I figured just going by Eli made sense, but as soon as I heard it out loud in reference to me I knew it just wasn't it. I thought about it and looked through names, but my mind kept going back to my favorite name, Alex. I was resisting using it because my best friend's son is Alex, but then decided it didn't matter, and she doesn't mind. So Alex it is.

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I picked Will because it's always been my favorite male name since I read a book with the main character named that. And it's the only one that really fits me. Being ordinary is a plus, too. I don't want an extravagant name that will turn heads. Just a normal male name. My dad's middle name is William, as well.

Although I was thinking about Asa, Silas, and Terence for a while, they never really fit. They were too uncommon. My female name doesn't have any male counterparts (it loosely translates to "Princess Rose" XP), and it's super uncommon as well. I think only a few people have it, with my spelling and capitalization.

12. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At first I wanted to go with the abbreviation of my birth name, which is usually a male name. However, it's not French so people wouldn't have known that. It was also too short and I decided I didn't want my birth name anyway, it's ugly. Not like there is any male equivalent to it anyway.

I also thought about the name my mom wanted to give me, but I hate composed names (so freaking current in French) and there's a butt joke in it... The same as in my birth name, but translated... Such coincidence... (No, seriously, my mom didn't think about that xD)

Then I went with the names I liked. I wanted something French to fit with my last name and not too short. I really like the ending ''ore'' in French names so I looked at those that had it and picked the one that fitted the best for me. I really liked Isidore, but it didn't really fit me, so I picked Theodore instead. (I received both positive and negative comments about my name. It just sucks a bit that my family laughed at it at first...)

13. Lazuri

Should have gone with Eeyore, dude.

14. Queero

I'm planning to keep my birth first name, as it is not particularly feminine or masculine. My parents had one first name picked out and would have given it to me no matter what I was born as. And I don't feel dysphoric about my first name at all, so I got really lucky.

But my middle name I was given at birth was Grace. No. I'd change it even if I was a girl because it's just....no. I trip over stiff air. Literally nothing will be there, and I will fall, and I look completely ridiculous when I do, which is often.

I chose Graham because it goes with the rest of my name, the same way that my birth middle does. I like to put "G" under "middle initial" already, because it sounds sturdy and masculine. Also, Graham Chapman is my favorite Python "stop that! It's getting very silly!" So, bonus.

I've not fully decided on everything name-related yet, but I'm fairly comfortable with this. I may consider something else if it's too similar to my birth middle.

15. GayJay

Hahaha, oh that made chuckle.
    I really like Theodore though, and Theo is just awesome.

Mine feels real boring now with just the one Syllable

16. KayJay

That is a very very similar story to mine!

I didn't roleplay, but when people on vent were calling me Kelsey or Kels, I knew it was the name I'd be using one day because it felt so right.

17. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My name change was pretty easy as my parents already gave me a name i liked.
    My original name was Olaf but i didn't liked it but my second name is Dominique which i do like, it's a nice neutral name.
    Somehow i believe that my parents didn't gave me that name without a reason, like the unconsciously knew...
    It's easier to change to a name you already have then to change to a whole new name and i really wanted it to be neutral since i'm not transitioning at the moment( don't know if i ever will but i'm not sure what the future might bring)

18. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My name happened when I decided to make a new character for a role play I was doing at the time. I like Arthurian legend, so I decided to go for a name from that. After a bunch of research, I settled on a name I liked for that character: Emrys. And then I started watching the TV show Merlin and pretty much fell in love with the name (despite the number of times people say it in a somewhat creepy way on that show). So I kept it. It's mine now lol. Totally replaced the other name I'd already picked, although that name will still be part of my full name, unless I change my mind. But I'm pretty set on Emrys.

19. ThePrideInside4

Well, my name is unisex, but sounds a bit more girlish. It's Shaye. But I've always liked Shane. But I'm used to Shaye, and so is everyone in my family. I haven't really thought about my name during my transition... I think I might keep it Shaye. I don't know...

20. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wanted a masculine version of my birth name, but I don't really like any of them so I just picked a name that starts with the same letter. The only thing I'm worried about now is whether or not my mom will like it. (She probably won't)

As for my middle name, my birth middle name is my grandmother's name so I think I'm going to change it to my grandfather's name instead.