1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for MtF's that have gone through HTR

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lonewolfblair, Mar 30, 2015.

1. lonewolfblair

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    so i did some research and found that there are a lot of health risk involved an your voice doesn't change (that i sort of already knew) but either way i don't plan to do anything until i have finished school and at the first opportunity i get to talk to a health professional about this i will.

so here is a question is there MtF's on here that have gone through HTR? and if so what was it like was it worth it? any problems?

2. KayJay

There are quite a few risks, they explain it all to you before you start though. The two I remember most prominently are increased chance of blood clots in the legs AMD increased risk of breast cancer.

I've been on hormones for like 15 months or so, I think. I haven't really had any problems at all, well unless wanting more breast growth is a problem :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I think it was and is worth it, it's made me feel a lot better about my body. Of course I still have body image issues but they aren't as bad anymore.

3. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

That answer sounds reassuring. Thanks for asking this question, been wondering about it too.

4. Just Jess

My experience is about the same.

I want to add something regarding your voice. Those of us that want a feminine voice train a lot. It's like a muscle. We also have to get past our own tendency to lower our voice when we aren't confident or are worried we are being read as male, and that too is like a muscle. For me I started having more success after HRT, because I am more confident and feel much more feminine. I use my female voice most of the time now outside of work and am actually having a harder and harder time going back to male register as fast when I need to.

So while it won't change your voice, for me it changed how often I practiced and how comfortable I was, and that changed my voice in turn.

5. Lazuri

HRT doesn't create health risks as much as it strengthens already existing ones.

6. HardToSay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Blood clots are the main health risk, or at least that is what I was told. It was definitely worth it because it completely changes the chemistry of your body and mind. HRT makes you feel whole, or at least it made me feel whole.

7. lonewolfblair

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for the advice, it reassuring to hear how happy it has made you

8. Just Jess

Glad we could help :slight_smile: But you really should involve a doctor in this conversation. That's not any of us.

I can say generally HRT involves trading one set of health risks for another, boy problems for girl problems or vice versa, and that generally you are also committing yourself in some ways. You will probably become sterile, and some kinds of cancer will become harder to detect. So while I can't say for sure, you will probably have to commit yourself to at least some kind of surgery in the future for these reasons.

If you want to know more, we're supposed to know about this stuff anyway, if you look around page 40 here http://admin.associationsonline.com/uploaded_files/140/files/Standards of Care, V7 Full Book.pdf it will tell you everything you want to know about what hormones do, including the risks. Don't be intimidated, it's easier to read than it looks.

9. lonewolfblair

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    that's the main reason i asked this question, i asked to find out what experiences people have had.

i had done some research before had which mentioned issues like metabolism decreasing and increase in risk of diabetes but the cancer one i didn't see and i was aware of the risk of going sterile, but yeah i don't plan on making any decisions for at least 2-4 years (so i can finish school) and when i do i will talk to various health professionals.

but anyway thanks again for the advice!