1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused and Questioning

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by talkingoutloud, Apr 2, 2015.

1. talkingoutloud

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I've never really felt fully like a female.
    I have always dressed in guys clothes, not only because they fit better on me, but because I prefer the way they look.
    When I was about 7-12, and everyone would go out, I'd stuff a pair of socks in my underwear and look in the mirror, and it would make me more content.
    I recently got my hair cut, short on one side and shaved on the other side, and when I like looking at myself from the shaved side.
    I don't think I see myself as a guy completely, but I don't think I feel like a girl.

I don't really know what I feel but I just thought I should get it out, because I've never told anyone, so, yeah.

2. OnyxPhantom

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello!
    It's not really my place to tell you who you are or if you're trans* or not, but I guess I can give you some advice and an opinion or two of mine.

For me, I spent a lot of time listening to other trans* peoples' stories and explored the many diverse gender identities out there. I found that it helped me get a feel for what it's like to be transgender, though mind you that everyone experiences it differently, so take that into account.

From what you said, you could (please take this with a grain of salt, btw) be trans, but have you considered any non-binary identities? (Genderqueer, bigender, demiguy, etc.)
    How do feel about different pronouns, how you are perceived by others, etcetera?
    Some of these things can help you sort out how you feel about your gender.

I hope this helps a bit, and good luck!

3. talkingoutloud

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks! Very helpful!
    I'm not sure I'd be trans*, just because I don't really feel like a guy, but I just feel more like a male then female, or not really either, just pick up certain "traits" of both (I'm not sure if that's the way to describe it, as I'm not really used to talking about it at all)
    So I think I'd maybe lean more towards non-binary or demi-guy.
    Hopefully it might get a little clearer for me soon? :/

Thanks for your help!! I really appreciate it!

4. OnyxPhantom

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm glad it helped a bit!

As a dfab demiguy myself, I can really relate to what you said in your first post, especially the part about not wholly being able to identify as a transman.
    Although for clarification, could you describe that non-male feeling as neutral, a mix of male/female, or say, even non-gendered?

If you haven't already, take a peek at the recent demigender threads that have shown up, I'm sure they will be useful!
    If you poke around this forum, you can learn more about all of the non-binary genders!

It's okay to take your time with figuring it out, it personally took me roughly a year for me to settle on my identity. It will definitely become clearer, it just takes time, deep thought, and experimentation.