1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dyhoria eating away at my mind how to lessen it?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lonewolfblair, Apr 4, 2015.

1. lonewolfblair

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So yeah you could say i need some help, so i recently started feeling body dysphoria and it has hit me like a truck, i tend to express my hatred of my body by digging my nails into my skin and what i need is advice on how to lessen this feeling and if possible how to come out to my parents.
    If you need details: i am still in school, am unemployed and live with my parents.

2. ProtegeMoi

I'm not going to be a hypocrite and act like I wasn't a burner/cutter. When I was in high school I did everything I could to try and take my mind off the real issues. I highly recommend a different route though. Running, art, journaling, short story writing. Try to find something that won't damage your body. I have scars and while I'm not ashamed of them they definitely aren't pretty and hurting my body never fixed the real issues. I needed a therapist and to stop living in denial.

Is your dysphoria in regard to a specific body part/parts?
    If you tuck does it make you feel better? It really depends on what is bothering you and finding ways to become okay with it and realize that if transitioning is something you want in your future then doing the things you can do and control now may help.

Its not going to be easy but there are lots of people here that are always ready to help.

3. lonewolfblair

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    thanks for the advice i have started writing down things to distract me, as for the dysphoria it is usually associated with the fact my face isn't feminine and genitalia is fast becoming an issue too, as for transitioning i think i will need to first come out to my parents and then try and getting my hands on some female clothing, but thanks again for the advice.

4. June Cleaver

I focus on the positive traits I still have. For me I refocus my energy on my long soft flowing hair and get lost while brushing it. Jesse used to love to watch me brush my hair in our room at night. once he told me all of this girlfriends before me brushed their hair in the same manner which puzzled me and still does. Don't look in a mirror while you feel the dysphoria bad. In my 20's I had no mirrors in my house for the five years I lived in one because I hated the reflection. I started growing face hair at 27 and that for me was the worst! I had a small mirror for shaving it that was hand held in the bathroom. My skin is one other attribute, even pushing 43 years old it is still creamy white soft as velvet. so don't mark yours up as you may find you want to wear something daring later down the road! I am not sure how to tell your parents and your age is a problem in getting help other than your counselor at school. you might want to talk with the counselor at school making sure that he/she can't divulge anything to your parents without your consent. See as a adult Dr.'s cant, but you being a minor I am not sure. June