1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crossdressing at a Comics Convention

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MissMook, Apr 5, 2015.

1. MissMook

So I got my first Artist Alley table at a comics convention. This is really big for me since I haven't really gotten anywhere since graduating art school. I know I probably won't be noticed much, but I have a chance to really get my name out more and to make some money out of my artwork.

But there's this feeling that's been bugging me for a bit. I want to dress in a way that expresses myself as the person I am, as an artistic genderqueer individual. I want to look girly (I'm biologically male); wear a nice skirt, some make up, and a few cute accessories. I feel a comics convention is an open-minded enough environment to do that. I haven't really presented in public before (only twice at parties), but I'm trying to get myself to be more courageous about it.

However, the more I think about how nice that would be, the more I also think would be against me. I have friends going to same convention who don't know I present this way. The people who follow me as an artist on the web don't know I'm genderqueer either. In general, I fear that people wouldn't approach me or see me as an artist- or even as ME! I know there are still a lot of people who see crossdressers, transfolk, and non-binary with a limited viewpoint and mostly see them for the stereotypes that are thrown about. I don't want people to see me as that either, especially when I'm trying to get my name out as an artist.

I want to be realistic about this.

Should I present as male, or should I be more daring and express myself as the cute, girly artist I am?

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Just do what you want. Even non-genderqueer guys crossdress. Hell, I had a friend who was a transsexual male and still went out in full-blown gothic lolita.

3. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As far as people's reactions are concerned, I would expect a comics convention to be a safer environment compared to other places. With your friends and online followers, it would depend on whether you're ready for them to know. Don't push yourself if you need time. But when it comes to stereotypes, people will always judge you by your appearance. If you present male, people will be making assumptions based on that as well. That's their mistake, not yours.

4. Im Hazel

As an artist, you probably don't need an impeccable reputation as a cis male. My dad was a client of a very famous artist (Grayson Perry) who crossdresses often - even during interviews. Anyhow, you will probably have a nametag and signs, so people should recognize you. In your position, I would totally do it!

5. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Even people who are totally 100% cis and present as their birth gender have been known to cross dress at Comic Con :slight_smile:
    Go for it! It's an awesome chance to present yourself the way you want :grin: :slight_smile:

6. Hyliana

Hyliana Guest

Yes go for it, I'm crosplaying (though I guess at this point it's just cosplaying) as a female character my self at an anime con this year.

I think cons are a great place to express your self in any way you want!

7. MyFlowerKing

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Go for it. It wouldn't get negative attention at all, especially at a place like that. At the least it would be assumed to be cosplay.
    Just wear what you feel comfortable in!

8. MissMook

I thought that too, it's difficult to present in public without feeling unsafe to some degree. Hmm...now that I think of it, an event like a comic convention would be a more appropriate time to break the news to them. I've been meaning to tell them, but it was more so when to tell them. No better time or place than there I guess.

Hm, didn't think of it that way actually. I guess if people were to always make assumptions, it might as well be based on how I truly express myself.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks. ^___^

---------- Post added 6th Apr 2015 at 01:49 AM ----------

I never heard of him until now, but man I wish I had that level of confidence. I'll have to read his interviews.

9. MissMook

Thank you all for such positive responses! They really make me feel a lot more confident about doing this.

I tend to think too much on these things and worry a lot, but I need to be a lot more brave and confident with my decisions in general. This might help with that.

I think I'll go ahead and do it. ^___^

10. Hizaki

Good luck and have fun! ^~^

11. antibinary

People tend to be more accepting when they're having fun so I wouldn't worry. If they get offended, say that it's a bit of fun for a fun day out.

12. Rapha Lover

Don't care about what others thing about you!
    If be a crossdresser make you happy, nobody can't judge you!

:slight_smile:
    Have fun

13. MissMook

Re: Crossdressing at a Comics Convention (UPDATED!)

Welp, I'm back from the convention and I have to say...

I really wish I could present every day because DAMN I love being pretty in public! ^___^*

It was wonderful! All of my friends weren't weirded out or anything like that, just really supportive. One of them even called me cute and suggested I try dressing up in gothic lolita style! :grin: (I actually really don't have the figure for that...)

Aside from that, the people attending there really didn't pay much attention to me, and those I spoke to just talked to me as if I was just any other regular person. I was treated like a normal person. There were a couple people who gave me some odd looks, and others who wouldn't even make eye contact. I didn't care, though. I just kept on smiling.

I was a little bit hesitant about going to the restrooms though, to make some "adjustments" and all that. I went into the male restroom anyway so not to cause a scene. (I really don't pass) Fortunately, not a lot of guys saw me come in, but I might think twice if it's at any other place.

While I was at my table I was surprised to see how many people would actually come up to it and say "Hi" to me, despite how I looked. Lots of guys seemed a bit skeptical at first, but warmed up quickly. Women, as expected, were a little more comfortable with approaching me. Two of them called me pretty and complimented my bow too! ^///^ It was all just wonderful and I want to do it again at every convention, hell, I want to present this way every day! Being called "pretty", "cute", and "beautiful" makes me blush like made and just about the happiest person there.

But the best thing of all is that most of them loved my artwork regardless of what I wore. I switched to presenting male for one day since we were in a hurry to get ready. There was very little difference in how I was treated when presenting, aside from the compliments of course.

So I guess what I'm trying to say here is just, thank you all for so much support! I probably wouldn't have done it without all your help! And for those who also are thinking of presenting in public, a comics convention definitely is a great place to do so!

14. Im Hazel

Awww, well done! I am glad it went well.

15. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    :thumbsup: Awesome! I'm really glad you had such a great time! Cons are awesome aren't they :slight_smile: