1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysphoria and Suggestion

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ByAnyOtherName, Apr 6, 2015.

1. ByAnyOtherName

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Is it possible for dysphoria to be influenced by suggestion? Personally, I've been having physical dysphoria (breasts) recently, but I can't really remember any specific instances from, say, several months ago. I do have a penchant for getting a headache if someone reports having one. :slight_smile: What do you think? Any experiences?

#1 ByAnyOtherName, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  2. ByAnyOtherName

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry for the double post, but in no way am I trying to trivialize dysphoria...

3. ProtegeMoi

It sounds similar to when people will say "possible trigger warning" before they bring up an issue. For example I wasn't thinking about breasts but now I am and while I'm not immediately feeling dysphoria over it - I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed on my mind for a while. I do think some of us are more prone to suggestion and others it wouldn't faze them at all.

4. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well i think it could be.
    For me Disphoria is not always the same,sometimes it gets worse and sometimes it's almost gone.
    I do notice that since i came out it got really worse, i feel it a lot more now..
    The social disphoria is not that much but the body disphoria is..
    I also beginning to get disphoric about my old name, i want to be called by my new name but some people just won't accept it..

#4 penta, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  5. Im Hazel

I don't thank that is what op is saying. She NEVER experienced dysphoria before, but now, after hearing about others being affected by it, she gets it as well.

6. ByAnyOtherName

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry, I keep forgetting about the social aspect of dysphoria. I have experienced that. But the physical dysphoria is quite new. However, it's possible that I just didn't have a name for it then.

#6 ByAnyOtherName, Apr 7, 2015
  7. Im Hazel

Ok. I can identify with that - before a few weeks ago, I never experienced dysphoria as such, but as soon as I learned about what dysphoria actually is, I could identify aspects within myself in accordance with that idea. I was really depressed and didn't know why - I now know that it is/was dysphoria. Can you identify with that?

8. ByAnyOtherName

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I think I can. For at least the past several years, I have often checked my body after showering, and felt disappointment. It never occurred to me that this might stem from having a male body. It makes sense, considering both where I looked, and the qualities sought. Honestly, I don't know how I missed it.

Of course there are a few much less subtle examples, but yeah... :icon_redf

Oh... Never thought about "triggering" dysphoria, for some reason. I'll try to be mindful of that in the future.

#8 ByAnyOtherName, Apr 7, 2015
  9. Im Hazel

Have you ever seen a councillor / therapist about this? That can really help.

10. ByAnyOtherName

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I haven't yet. I don't think my current counselor would even know how to react if that was mentioned. At my next appointment, I plan to ask him for a referral to see a sex therapist, or at least someone more lgbt-friendly.