1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out To My Parents - Email

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Folieadeux, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Folieadeux

So, after talking with my school councilor, I am starting to compose an email to send to my parents, so the next time they go away for a couple days, I can send it and come out.
    She is amazing, so my councilor is also helping me find resources to educate my parents more on what being a transgender youth even is, so that's great!

But anyways, I am sort of stumped on how to word my email to them.
    Does anyone have tips on what I should put/how I should word it/how you did it/etc.?

Of course, ultimately, I'll be the one who is personalizing it and explaining my feelings to my parents, but I was just wondering if you guys had any advice so it seems more professional and orderly.

Thank you very much!

---------- Post added 7th Apr 2015 at 11:14 PM ----------

Oh, oops, I posted this in the wrong thread, I'm sorry!

2. Jellal

The one thing I can say for sure is that make sure in your email you mention that being transgender isn't a recent development. The "it's just a phase" thing is such a common scape-goat that people use to avoid dealing with reality. So maybe mention some of your own life experiences that taught you how you felt, something along those lines. They'll likely have a better chance of understanding you, and maybe, maybe just emphasizing if there are some palpable experiences there for them to read about.

3. Queero

You should tell them how you're feeling in the moment you write the email. Why you didn't tell them before. You should show them how you feel in certain situations, like when people call you "ma'am", or whatever your social dysphoria battle is. Some people understand social stuff better.

I'm working on a letter like this myself, and I'm half terrified and half deathly calm.

As for the mood/wording, it should be calm, you don't want an angry feel, and you don't want to come off as angry with them.

If you think it would help you I could share my draft.