1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wearing men's clothes

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Sebby45, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For those females who like to appear more masculine/androgynous, how do you figure out the right sizes for male clothing? I have a very feminine body and sizing charts are big liars. I know there are androgynous clothing stores but they are way above and beyond my budget.

So, I dress as neutral as possible: t shirts and jeans mostly. I try to get my clothes on the looser side as well.

Any tips appreciated!

2. MojoDojo

I have an extremely feminine body, tiny waist/large hips. I had to go in and try stuff on, but in general, I'm a 30/32 in women's jeans, and a 34/36 in mens jeans. Shirts I tend to go a size smaller or the same size if I want really loose. It would be a good place to start.

I can't do their button up shirts, or jackets or vests because I don't have a straight enough body.

Does that help?

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really depends on the cut of the pants. In some cases I'll wear 32's, in others, I'll wear 34's. I've had some where I've worn up to a 36. It also depends for the length as well. So, it would be best if you could go to a place where you could try them on.

4. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got a slightly curvier than typical male body (still more masculine shape than feminine) and I'd say the tags lie. I have pants anywhere from 34 to 38 waist that fit about the same. My kilts are a 39 or 40 inches.

5. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone. I guess I'm just a bit ashamed to look at male clothing in public. I have before but I always get this creeped out feeling that people are watching me, so never got as far as trying things on. I'll just have to work up the nerve, since it appears online shopping would be treacherous!

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are afraid of trying the clothes on, could always make an educated guess as to size, buy them, and try them on at home. For pants, as a starting point, measure about an inch or two above the widest part of your hips in inches, and subtract 3 or 4. That should get you in the ballpark for the waist size. Inseams tend to actually be somewht consistent and true. Take a pair of pants you currently have that fit. Measure down the inside seam from the crotch to the cuff, and if you were measuring ladies pants, subtract a couple inches. The crotch on guys pants sits a little lower to allow for *ahem*.

#6 confuzzled82, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  7. ProtegeMoi

I'd venture to say most people aren't thinking about what you're shopping for. I know we psyche ourselves out and feel out of sorts going in the "other" departments. Really most businesses just want happy repeat customers and would probably help you pick something out. Take a supportive (honest) friend with you if possible for opinion on if the cut is working - a second pair of eyes is nice and usually we're hypercritical and look better than we think.

8. MojoDojo

Also, no one tends to ask. I've been steered in the direction of women's pants before, but I usually just say that I find men's clothing fits better, and is more comfortable. They usually quiet down after that. It's actually a lot easier as a female-bodied androgyne, just because it's more accepted for 'females' to wear male clothing than visa versa.

I did find it's hard to find the right inseam, so get as close as possible and you may need it hemmed a smidgen. The 32 inseam is too short, and the 34 is about 4 inches too long (because that makes total sense, right?)

9. Queero

Not to sound rude, and I'm sorry if I come off that way, but most people do not care what department you shop in.

Most people won't even think about it.

And if you don't want to actually go and try things on in the store yet, you can kind of guess what size range you need, buy a few different sizes, try them on at home, and return the ones that don't work. Just make sure to keep the receipt.

10. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Trying things on is the best way to tell if something fits. Sizing is not universal, different brands and companies use different sizing (because that makes so much sense *sarcastic eye roll*) so no matter what you're buying you should try it on.

Hint for people with a more femme waist that feel button-down shirts don't work, try stripes and vests (it works for me).

11. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know much about Women's sizes/etc. I know when a distant relative asks me, "what size do you wear?" And I answer with male measurements they get confused.

Honestly as someone who has been crossdressing their entire life, male measurements are easy to understand. (Though I have a larger frame body, so I am unsure if that it's just easy for me because of that.)

Just try stuff on, move around in it, see what works for you! Mens, womens, a mix of both, clothing is supposed to feel good. Just go with the flow! No one is going to get mad at you for trying a lot of different stuff on.

As for stores, I pretty much go to Walmart. Cheap, and simple.

12. Sweetberry

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm so happy I found this thread!!! Thank You!!!

I feel similar...I usually borrow my brother's sweaters/shirts, but I would love to have some not so feminine shorts...esp since summer is coming.

how did it work out for you?

13. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me and my friend went to walmart and she went to the sewing section and got a tape measure, and then proceeded to measure my waist which came out to 37inches, so I grabbed a 36 and a 38 and tried them on.

---------- Post added 28th Apr 2015 at 07:54 AM ----------

Goodwill is another good place

If someone asks i say I am buying for my brother and that we're about the same size. I hate to lie, but I currently don't own enough boy clothes or a binder to pass to well

14. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck. Probably bought too big, though. Even guys clothes tend to use vanity sizing. Try 34

http://www.utilikilts.com/index.php/sizing

15. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well they did fit o.o the 38s I mean

i have an hour glass figure ;=;

16. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Still haven't been able to work up the nerve. Pathetic me. Wish I had a brother! :icon_wink

17. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So pretend to have one if you need it and whenever you're in men's department and try men's clothes on and someone has comments (what I think won't happen though) just tell them your bro has the same build and if it fits you it's gonna fit him.
    You don't need to be afraid, believe me, just go for it! (*hug*)
    Btw in my case jeans are more or less the same size no matter what department but I always try them on because the cut may be different and not fit me or flatter my body type well. Speaking about men's t-shirts, I usually take one 1 size (less often 2 sizes) smaller than in women's.

18. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Paris!

19. NightGrazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have the issue of perfect fit everywhere except for the crotch/waist. Does a slightly larger crotch look bad? In relation to shopping, I often pick up whatever guys clothes I want to try on and stick something from the womens section over the pile in my hands, I've never gotten a comment and Id they've noticed no-one has said anything! :icon_bigg

20. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Just started being brave about shopping in mens department i get the occassional weird look. But when asking to try on ahve never been wmet with anything other than professionalism.

Im very small, wear a 28-30 in mens clothes. Can fit in the little boys section but their clothes are also kiddish so it kinda sucks. Mens clothes ide my giant boobs quite wewell. I wear a small in mens shirts and they are still huge. Some stores dont sell clothes that small for men.

Like someone else said, it is far more socially acceptable for a girl to wear boys clothes vs the other way around, unfortunately. The angst you have is all you. Be brave and get out there i feel amazeballs when i wear more masculine clothes. Also, target has BA clearance and more "fitted" clothes which ive noticed tend to have more curve to them. So fit the female form a bit better. I am not heacurvy tho like some.

Im hella skinny so try and stick with skinny jeans cause they are still baggy abut im not drowning in em.