1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I genderqueer?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lonely penguin, Apr 13, 2015.

1. lonely penguin

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've recently been wondering if I'm genderqueer because I just don't feel right with my body sometimes, and I sometimes have an aversion to wearing skirts or dresses and other times thats all I do want to wear. I don't feel comfortable in makeup like all the other girls I know who make it a morning ritual, and I don't like the same stuff as them like magazines and waxing legs or even shaving them. Sometimes I wish I didn't have breasts or a vagina, it just feels wrong, and other times I enjoy being a woman and it feels natural. I am pretty sure I'm not transgender, and I don't really notice switching between being male or female, I just don't feel one gender. I would think this would mean I'm genderqueer, but of all the other stories I've heard about this they all say that they felt different or knew somehow when the were younger. I'm 16 and these feelings didn't start more than a year ago. Am I overthinking things or am I genderqueer?

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    your not over thinking things, sometimes people figure things out later than others, there is no set standard for being genderqueer or transgender, btw how do you feel about identifying as male/boy?

3. Sonic

Sonic Guest

Hi Lonely Penguin,

I feel the same way, except I'm a little older :slight_smile: I only discovered the term 'genderqueer' just last week, but I think it fits (for me). I've felt androgynous all my life, meaning that I pretty much feel feminine and masculine at the same time, but not one of them.

What you describe sounds more like neutrois to me but it does fall under the same 'genderqueer' category, if I got it right.

Then again a lot can change in life, I went through a phase where I tried to be more feminine and that was OK too, although eventually the androgynous feeling came back.

4. lonely penguin

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks sonic! I've never heard of neutrois before, I'm still not sure if I feel an absence of gender or both genders though, so that may or may not be what I am. hmmm

5. Im Hazel

You are never too late to question. And experiences vary - everyone has a different story.

6. lonely penguin

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It feels right, makes me feel confident and empowered.
    But I didn't feel like answering that way yesterday...