1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binding issues

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cicel, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Cicel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hello! Recently, I've been interested in buying a binder, but my father tells me that binders, no matter what type or quality, will cause health implications. So, I was wondering if anyone knew a way to bind slightly better than a sports bra, but not using a binder? Thanks!

2. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A stronger sports bra? A few sports bras?

3. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Binders, if used properly, really are the least damaging to your health. But if you're really worried about it, a lot of people suggest wearing two sports bras.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any method of binding can be dangerous, but a professional binder is the safest way to do it. You can layer sports bras, but be careful with that. If it hurts, take it off.

Honestly, a professional binder is the best thing to do. Tell your father that the compression of any method of binding will be risky, but that a professional binder is the safest because it is made for this exact purpose, and it is made well. Make sure he knows that as long as you bind safely (limit to 8 hours a day (but less when you first get it), never while exercising, take it off if it hurts for any reason), there are no health implications. And be sure to get a good one. Underworks or gc2b or something like that is safe. Cheap Asian binders on Amazon are not.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second what darkcomesoon said. Binding can be dangerous to your health is you're not doing it properly; such as using ace bandages, stomach compressors and duct tape and doing so for more than eight hours at a time, while exercising (and sleeping) as well as binding too tightly.

A professional binder (such as from a place like Loveboat, GC2B and Underworks) is your best bet. If you're in a pinch, sports bras can work. Just avoid cheap Asian binders from Amazon and ebay. It's also very important that you read the size charts on credible websites properly, because you can hurt yourself if you bind too tightly. I know a guy who doubled up on binders and ended up breaking a rib.

But yeah, if you're careful and are in tune with your body, it's not likely you're going to run into any real problems or complications. I think it would be worth it to talk to your dad about this, as darkcomesoon stated.