1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bruce Jenner -- Friend or Foe ?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by kristen48, Apr 15, 2015.

1. kristen48

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have my own opinions of Bruce and his upcoming story and potential reality show. However, I'm curious to hear what everyone else thinks.

2. Jellal

A mixed bag. You can't expect everyone who identifies as transgender to function as a model representative of your community, that's just stupid. Of course people are going to vary from case to case and the public's going to generalize. The media's going to generalize. Always has and always will.

3. RainDreamer

I think that is just someone who everyone else should leave alone and move on with life.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bruce Jenner - where to start?

Thought he was good looking when I was younger ... and so was he.

Debated whether all the previous rumors were true, but didn't lose much sleep over it.

Found out the rumors were true and, after seeing all the changes in him, it sort of made sense.

Time to get over it, folks. Give this person his privacy. It's not really that interesting and it wouldn't generate all that interest if a private person was going through this.

I felt really bad for his traffic mishap. I actually gave that event some thought. What an extra piece of baggage to have to juggle in addition to all the paparazzi swarming around him.

I'd like to hear Jenner's story and some of the details since I'm sure it will be unique.

I am not all at crazy about a full fledged, ongoing reality show and hope that it doesn't come to fruition because that would be milking the situation for more than it's worth.

I don't understand why this was framed as "friend or foe." He's walking that fine line of being a celebrity and trying to have his own private life along with being who he wants to be. I would simply be perturbed if he fanned the flames of this media circus for additional personal gain.

5. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Like Jellal said above, the media is going to generalise absolutely every aspect of it. It could potentially go well or go sideways. We don't know. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. anonym

anonym Guest

I'm going to give my honest opinion here. I'm not a massive fan of transsexuals of celebrity status or even fictional characters in popular TV shows or movies, the reason being that because we are such a minority, there are only going to be one or two transgender people in the spotlight and the public are going to make generalizations.

7. fragileflame

I don't really have many "opinions" on it per say, but I just hope Bruce whether s/he is male or female is happy. That's what a person deserves in life. And if Bruce wants to share the journey s/he has been on, that is their business. (even though I will totally be watching every minute of it haha)

8. Folieadeux

The media just needs to leave them alone! (I'm not sure what pronouns they want cause it never was clear in what I saw)

They're turning their struggles into some kind of entertainment, and it's just pissing me off at this point.

9. Im Hazel

Well, at this point, isn't any neutral publicity good? I can't see anything bad coming from it, unless the media totally rip him to shreds...

10. Just Jess

This is going to sound controversial, and I will definitely hear you out if you disagree, but I think that Jenner's silence, while totally that person's right, in the face of a media that only has a male name and chooses male pronouns reliably, that already views most of us as not being real women, is harming us. We have nothing but rumors, and Jenner has not so much as even said "I need room to figure myself out". I think it is still Jenner's choice how to address this, and that person has my full support. If we never know more than what tabloids say, okay. But the inaction still hurts us, and the pictures the tabloids put out are both the entire conversation and least flattering. They will only play to stereotypes to sell more magazines. So I would say foe, but the kind of foe we need to love anyway.

11. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like that. I definitely agree that the media portrayal so far is not helping trans people (literally every article I've read uses male pronouns and nobody is trying to correct that, so no one is learning that it's wrong), but since Jenner's trans, we, as trans people, should still be supportive.

12. candyjiru

(Didn't see Jenner's preferred pronouns so using "she/her")

I think it will be interesting to hear her story. I used to watch the Kardasian show when it first came on and she always struck me as a sad character... Her wife was a harpy and she usually ran away to a shed to play with helicopters and be by herself... I felt bad for her and wondered how her life ended up this way, but the show focused more on Kim x-raying her butt than anything deep >.< I hope the transition goes well and that the media shows her as a normal person and not as a freak or something bad.

13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think everyone is looking way too far into this. The rumors are just now just pure speculation and even when or if Jenner potentially confirms the rumors it is none of anyone's business or our place to judge what his next move should be or whatever. Just leave it alone and live life!

#13 dano218, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  14. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Has he ever officially stated that he's Trans? Assuming that he is, I support him. I'm proud of him. I think his show, if done right, could be a source of inspiration for transfolk and help to demystify the whole process for people. I wish him luck.