1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer job / being out

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by darkcomesoon, Apr 15, 2015.

1. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got a job for the summer working at a camp I used to go to, and I don't know if I should come out there or not. I've never actually been in a situation before where it wasn't incredibly clear that I either definitely should not be out (i.e. high school) or clearly should (i.e. college), so I don't exactly know how to make these judgement calls.

It feels like a pretty liberal place, but I didn't encounter many openly lgbtq people (neither campers nor staff) when I was a camper, so I don't know what the response would be. I wouldn't really officially come out. It would just be a matter of asking people to use they/them pronouns for me. I already use my last name as a nickname, so asking people to use the right name for me doesn't have to be an issue.

How do I make this decision? What would y'all do in this situation?

2. cosmic punk

If it were me (if possible anyway) I would bring up some things about lgbtqia+ people in the media and be like "oh so (celebrity name here) did/said (topic here). What do you think about them?" or something like that? Maybe even talk about a friend who is trans? (Like tell them about a friend that recently came out to you and ask advice to see what they would do?)

For me I usually do that and if all else fails I just base it on if I get good vibes from them or not. Do it if it would make you feel more comfortable being out! But if you feel unsafe doing so I definitely would think it over