1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Application forms - which name to use?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Minnie, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Minnie

Mainly for work, as things like banking and medical forms need to match my legal details.

I'd like to apply for work using the name I go by and to include my legal name in the application - either in my CV or covering letter - with a quick note explaining why. I live in Scotland so trans folk are protected against discrimination by law, but I know that people could deny someone work for being trans but say it's because of something else. But I have been successful in getting work before and at least one person knew I was trans/gender questioning and had no issue.

So I'd like some advice. Has anyone done this before having their name changed legally? Have you used the title that matches your gender instead of your birth certificate's? Have you applied with your chosen name and have /have not mentioned that you're trans? What is best from your experiences?

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first job, I went by my birth name because I was in high school and afraid to be out.

My second job, I included my birth name and the name I go by (hoping to get that changed this year). Since the application was on a website, I explained why I had two names listed with the attached file when I sent it in. One of my bosses who replied back said it was perfectly fine and said he's looking forward to seeing me at my interview.

At my interview, I met with one of the other bosses there, and explained the situation to him (since I wasn't sure if the news got to him). I believe I was pretty up front with explaining I was in transition and this was the name and set of pronouns I was going by. He was sweet about it, and said they had no problem at all with it. While I only got read at work as male about 40% of the time (my family tells me the staff gendered me correctly when they would talk in the parking lot), I was only known as AJ at work and my birth name was never mentioned at all--not even on my weekly pay.

That was probably my best experience, especially since my co-workers were a bunch of great people in general. I'm sure my first job would have been fine, but I'll never know. My city has protection laws, so I'm sure I would have been fine.

3. Cynder

Also, one possibility is to just present as male, say you go by your chosen name at the interview or whatever, and just put your legal name on the application. You can always say your chosen name is your middle name or a nickname from your middle name and pretend your parents just chose a really girly name for their boy child, which does happen occasionally. While the application might say your gender, it might be optional, and that way your official work documents match your other legal documents.