1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Folieadeux, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Folieadeux

So, as of yet, I am not out to my parents as trans, and they started asking me about whether or not I want to play soccer again this year.

I've been on this team since kindergarten, but as I have found out I am a guy, just the thought of joining an all girls soccer team makes me anxious and I know I will feel dysphoric. I also plan on coming out to my school this year, and I don't want to feel like a sheep in wolves clothing and make things awkward for my team if I join. Plus, I just really don't want to play soccer this year, for all of the above reasons, and I never really liked it thhaaattt much? I mean, it was pretty fun, but still.

Every time my parents ask me what I plan on doing, I just sort of say that I'll send you an email about it, and shrug out of the conversation. The email I want to send is my coming out email, and including why I would feel uncomfortable joining my team again (of course I haven't told them any of this so far).

The thing is, sign-ups end near the end of May, but I know my parents will be pressuring me to join, so that I'll be able to join my old team before it's 'too late'. I keep putting it off, and I think my parents are reading me as lazy and unhealthy, and I hate it, because they have no clue what I'm going through.

What would you guys recommend I do? I was going to send my coming out email sometime during spring break, but it's already Friday night, and school starts again on Monday. I plan on talking to my councilor about this, but I would love some of your guys' opinions.
    I want to come out to them sometime next week to make things easier, but I'm scared I won't find the right time and I'll keep putting it off? I want to send it when they are both out of the house, so I guess I could do it when my mom is at work, and while my dad is on a walk?

Thank you!

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd recommend coming out as soon as possible so you can get it over with. If you want to avoid putting it off then just do it whenever you think to, or maybe set a reminder if you have iPhone.