1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know if there's a dress code for this profession?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PlantSoul, Apr 18, 2015.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've decided to pursue Arachnology paired with Zoology for college. Over the summer, I'm going to see if I can somehow volunteer to gain some experience in the field. Based on what I've found, there's freedom in the dress code but, I couldn't find anything on where gender expression would factor into this.

In terms of gender expression, is there a dress code that prohibits going outside of it? Or, can you dress however which way you feel like? As for how I dress, I try to dress with androgyny in mind but, my style ends up looking more masculine than anything else.

- thanks!

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know anything about that field particularly, but generally dress code stuff depends on the specific place you're working. When you find a specific place you want to work, you may want to contact someone to find out about their dress code.

If you're dfab, you probably won't run into problems. If you're dmab, it might be a bit more difficult because society is pretty unsupportive of people they perceive to be male who dress femininely. Regardless, you say your style is more masculine, so people are likely to be tolerant regardless. Again, it depends on where you're working.

3. anonym

anonym Guest

I wouldn't imagine that's a particularly gendered field so I think you could easily dress more androgynous or masculine without it being that noticeable or problematic to anyone. I could only imagine it being a problem if you were working somewhere that had a very distinct difference between the dress code for men and women, like in a more traditional office environment for example or something like an air steward.