1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things that make you feel Dysphoric

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Straw_berry, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Straw_berry

What're some of the things that make you feel Dysphoric?

For me it's when:

People use my male name, I like the name my parents gave me for it's meaning, but it's a male name, so it just doesn't feel right.

I see my male genitals, I just feel really uncomfortable when I shower or when I have to undress.

I speak, my voice is really deep and nasally, I also hate hearing my self on a recording.

I see my self in the mirror, which is mostly around my face, as I have a natural curve to my body already which makes me happy.

What're the things that make dysphoria rear it's ugly head for you guys?

2. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When others call me by my birth name, when people misgender me, and its even worse when people who I've come out to misgender me.

3. Im Hazel

All of the above for me, apart from the stuff about voice. I feel uncomfortable, but it is nowhere near as bad as the other stuff. Also, my body isn't that curvy, so I get dysphoric about that too.

4. anonym

anonym Guest

When I catch sight of my reflection, when I take a shower, when I have my period, when people use my birth name, female pronouns and refer to me as lady or girl. Also, I find this strange but when I'm talking to people I know my voice dysphoria isn't so bad, but when I talk to strangers it's unbearable.

5. Folieadeux

- Talking in my 'normal' voice (I'm learning how to deepen it though)
    - When anyone call me by my birth name
    - When people misgender me
    - Seeing myself in the shower
    - Thinking about my future and the possibility of not getting testosterone
    - Being forced to be grouped with the girls
    - Seeing trans men who have been able to get on testosterone
    - Seeing men in general

:')

6. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My voice, my chest, when people use my birth name, my height, being misgendered (especially if I tried really hard to pass or if I'm out to the person), my curves, comparing myself to cis men, knowing I'll never get T.

7. Acm

Acm Guest

Whenever something happens to make me aware of my body (I try to mentally separate myself from it completely)
    Looking in the mirror
    Seeing cis guys, or even trans guys that have gotten to transition
    Hearing my voice
    When people misgender me
    Thinking about the future and transitioning

8. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. When I take a shower.
    2. When I look in a mirror.
    3. When I take my clothes off.
    4. When I have to sign fucking cards, with the accursed birth name.
    5. When people misgender me, even the passive aggressive avoidance of pronouns... hell, I'd be happy with "they" rather than continued awkwardness.
    6. When people give me unsolicited fashion advice such as "you'd be so pretty, if only you dressed more like a girl."
    7. Trans chasers. I want to cut their fingers and toes off. You'd understand, if you had to deal with their attention.
    8. Fearing that people will think differently about me when/if they discover I'm a trans guy.
    9. Sometimes when I read about transgender stuff. I might cry and/or my heart might feel like it's gonna explode.
    10. Sometimes when I talk about transgender stuff. I might cry.
    11. Sometimes when I look at cis guys and feel jealous.
    12. Hearing statements such as "I took it easy on you because you're a girl" and it's basically two insults at once.
    13. When I feel like a joke of a man because I'm trans.
    14. When I question the scientific validity of transsexualism.
    15. Even saying something such as "I'm a trans guy" and "I have a biologically female body" results in stings of dysphoria.
    16. At my worst, I can even feel dysphoric about my height, and thinking I don't have a right to complain, because I'm not super short. But I'm a lot better at dealing with this nowadays.
    17. I'm sure there are more things I'm forgetting ATM.

9. crystalgem

Out Status:
    A few people
    My hair. Everytime I see it I just wanna take some scissors and chop it off.

10. nevers

Out Status:
    All but family
    My hair isn't as short as I want it, 4 inches makes a difference. My female genitals, when my dad calls me 'baby doll' or people call me sweatheart or sweetie, the fact that my walls are pink and I have a princess bed, my stuffed animals lining the walls that my mom won't let me throw out, my pink comforter, my B-C cup boobs, everytime someone calls me "she/her" i want to throw up. Any mention of male genitals (the slang and real words) makes me uncomfortable because it reminds me what I have. Health class when they talk about "ladies" and stuff like that. How circular my face is (but i do have nice cheekbones but my face is like a baby's kinda thing) My thin arms too and lack of muscles.

11. Verb

Well I have transitioned so I don't experience half as much dysphoria as I used to. But I still go through sensitive phases when my slight build/hips/gearbox/stretch marks make me feel dysphoric. Also sometimes when people talk about 'when you were [birth name]' it can make me uncomfortable.

12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Catching a glimpse of that thing in the mirror when getting out of the shower. That thing having a mind of it's own, especially when I wake up... Having any facial hair. My flat chest. People telling me I'd look better/more professional/cuter with my hair cut short. When people first call me by female pronouns, then appologize profusely "correcting" themselves when they realize my voice is just a little too deep...

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These days, it's largely social. Getting misgendered is the absolute worst for me. In terms my my physical being, but my voice is the biggest thing I can think of. Specific parts don't set my dysphoria off like it used to; but if I could have certain organs removed today, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on that.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Others have covered quite a bit of things, some of which would even pertain to me, so I won't repeat them.

However, one of the biggest ones for me, is:

Seeing a woman I find attractive, especially physically. For a few seconds, I'm totally off guard, because it really messes with me. There's this little jolt of "that should be me" that surges through my body. But it gets repressed, and is able to be dealt with from then on out.

While I dislike feeling dysphoric, I can, at least, deal with all of the triggers fairly well. At worst, they just build up and I have to vent. But with being around a woman who looks good, feels good, and walks with that feminine swag... Jesus Christ it fucks me up for a bit.

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm like that as well, but don't like to admit it a lot. It's a constant envy and jealousy of men who have the build and body I'd kill to have. I remember it got pretty bad to where I would avoid hanging out with some of my friends because it would be too much for me.

16. ProtegeMoi

Lately my shoulders have been the worst. Being 6'3 kinda blows at times. Not having long hair like I did about 10 years ago. And being shaped like a popsicle stick.

17. AfraidandAlone

pregnant women really upset me. every time i see a pregnant woman i want to cry because i know i can never get pregnant. also when i was a cashier and women would come through with cute panties or tampons and pads.

18. ApexxShadow

1. My chest.
    2. Being misgendered.
    3. When people try to force me into a category.
    4. When people tell me I'm a girl because I look like one.
    5. When my mom calls me out about how I look and my name.

19. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff

my height :
    people literally looking down really hurts me (i'm just 5 foot 5 and i cant grow any taller except with surgical intervention)...

facial and body hair :
    i dont have any so every time i'm looking at the mirror it reminds me how i'm not man enough

sorry if i sound shallow and superficial but i'm really unhappy about that and frankly nothing i can do to make it better or at least to make me feel better.

20. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ~My breast = They are huge and I just want them to go away
    ~My hips = Also huge and wish they would just slim down
    ~My thighs = To a degree anyway. I think they look rather girlish and want them more boyish.
    ~My hourglass shape= its not that I mind having an hourglass shape, some boys do have them, but due to my hips and breast it seems so much worse for me
    ~Facial hair= I can grow facial hair due to a hormone imbalance as a teenager, but my face is round in a female or 14 year old boy sort of way. It just looks out of place.
    ~Mirrors/showers= Pretty much anytime I look below my neck
    ~Genderless days= I have days where I feel like I don't have a gender. On these days I hate everything about myself, my body most of all. I'm not exactly sure why this is.

~since coming to terms with being trans I feel kinda icky when being called a girl, at the same time it doesn't really bother me since I know that is what people see me as. I think this is all due to the fact that I call my self male pronouns now.