1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-conforming gender expression in college?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PlantSoul, Apr 19, 2015.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For those here that are open about their gender expression and went to college, how were you treated?

I ask because, I just got into a somewhat heated conversation about this with my mother. She and her mother say that my clothes are too masculine and that I'd get singled out. This completely flew over my head because, apparently I've been living in a bubble.

I didn't think that it could be a problem in college. I go out and no one has ever bothered me. I'm always treated with civility.

Prior to the conversation, I had been considering adding feminine touches to my wardrobe, in an attempt at adding balance and making my appearance more androgynous. I told her and she acted like it would still be a problem, and said I was still insisting on being hard headed.

She brought up how I was as a kid, who was very sensitive. How she would try to warn me about the cruelty of children and how I would always give in and make those "necessary" changes to better fit in. I'm not like this anymore. I have a better sense of self and I refuse to let other people silliness have an effect on me. I feel at a loss for words.

2. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At my college no one really cares. I very frequently bounce between extreme masculinity and extreme femininity and no one's really had a problem. College students are really forgiving, I think, we're all at the age where no one really gives a shit about how other people act/dress. My roommate is a very feminine (MTF) kid who passes about half the time, but no one ever gives him problems either.

Honestly, I think college is probably the best place to mess with your style and stuff cause college kids are the least likely the cause a fuss.

3. suninthesky

Unless your college is a really, really conservative college it is a hell of a lot better than high school. Literally no one gives a shit.

4. Straw_berry

I've noticed that at my college no-one gives a damn how you dress, act, speak, whatever, so I think college is a great place to express your self, because, as suninthesky said, no-one gives a shit.

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the college and how liberal or conservative it is, but compared to high school, it's bound to be better. College students care much less about what you look like. As long as you don't go to a significantly conservative college, it's a great place to express yourself however you like.

I personally go to a very liberal college, and I have had absolutely no trouble presenting myself exactly how I want without anyone being bothered.