1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think homosexuality impacts your personality? In terms of masc/fen traits

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by armydude, Apr 19, 2015.

1. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Iby the way, I am new here. Hi.

Anyways, I've wondered this for awhile. Everyone who knows I'm gay (which, since I'm closeted, is limited to gay dudes I've dated or chatted with online) calls me the stereotypical straight dude. Honestly it's a pretty accurate description of how I act, my interests, etc. I don't really give off a "gay vibe" whatsoever. Being this way is not an act and it feels natural to me.

That being said, I remember as a kid wanting to sing in the choir, play the piano, look at art, and do things that maybe weren't considered so masculine. Over the years I made a conscious effort to steer myself away from that, towards sports, macho things, and fitting in with my straight friends.

At some point, I lost interest in the less masculine activities and by now the "stereotypical straight dude" is my 100% genuine personality. I'm not trying to be like this, it really is who I am.

So would you say that's a result of conditionimg, or the personality I would've ended up with anyways? I'm sure a lot of you out there, straight or gay, have also contemplated the idea of self-molding as it applies to your own character.

2. nohalos

To answer your question, I don't think homosexuality impacts one's personality. Just because you're gay, doesn't make you automatically effeminate in ways. You're gay because you like men, not because you're effeminate or something like that.

You're the way you are because 1.)You have adapted to what your surroundings were where you were younger. You'll be surprised how outside influence can be powerful to one's mind. 2.) There are some aspects that can't be affected by outside influence. These sort of things are not compatible with your personality and your way of life.

Trust me, I 've hanged with straight "macho" guys but I barely got influenced by them. I usually hang around girls, but I wouldn't say I'm that effeminate either. I'm a mixture of both, not that masculine and not that feminine. Masculine, maybe because I was born with it (I never was around that much guys anyway) and feminine, because pretty much my whole life, I was surrounded by girls. But none of them made me gay or "act gay". I just am.

3. Queero

Nah. I've got masculine and feminine traits, but so does everyone. I don't know a single person of any orientation who fits perfectly on one side or the other.

We've all got both.

I've got certain situations where I'm more feminine or masculine, and certain people that bring out certain aspects of myself.

It sounds to me like you kept yourself from doing certain things, and so I'd say in this case you likely pushed yourself to be a certain way, and if you're comfortable with that now, then that's fine. Be who you are.

4. M104

M104 Guest

There seems to be confusion between gender expression and sexual orientation. One doesn't imply the other, and should be seen as separate traits.

5. kristen48

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know gay guys who are as macho as any straight guy... they just prefer the company of other men. I am trans... but feel more female than male most times..... I just don't act it when I have to not.

6. Just Jess

I think if more people were honest, we would naturally be drawn toward a lot of masculine and feminine pursuits. Just look at cooking for instance. It's typically considered a feminine hobby, and yet there are dozens of very masculine, often straight, men that are chefs, and no one thinks of them as being effeminate at all.

With the benefit of my experience, I can say I am almost completely sure natural sex differences are very simple things. I just plain don't think we understand things like "art and choir" at that level. We can get "this person looks cute" or "I need to cry". I have noticed some subtle psychological changes along those lines as I change my physical sex. But you know I also get to see how much is social, and it is way more than you would think. Being able to cry, for instance. I can see the difference both nature and nurture make with that. And honestly? Being able to cry comes a million times easier on estrogen, but by itself just being dressed and interacting with the world as a girl makes it even easier.

All the hobbies I enjoyed before, I enjoy now. A lot of personality traits I had then I still do. Some are masculine, some are feminine.

I think it would be wrong to say that people don't have instincts, or that your sex doesn't affect your personality. But I would say that the effects are smaller and more subtle than a lot of us give credit. They are always simple and direct things, like feelings or impulses, never anything you would have to learn like painting a picture.

I think being gay, I mean we both get to see firsthand just how hard a time people have separating who you are from who you love. I think we can't help but take some of that inside. I think some of that might be natural. People that like to take roles during sex say. But I don't think it's across the board even then. A lot of very "type a" people enjoy the "bottom" role when there is one. Sometimes I kind of wonder how my own natural aversion to roles plays into things. I think sometimes, maybe sone of us act more feminine if we are into men and masculine if we are into women, but at a "gut" level I think that is more "I'm trying to get laid" than "this is who I am".

I don't think there really is a conplete profile either way for people. We pop out of the womb with a lot of our capability to be men or women intact, ready to differentiate as circumstances and hormones demand. It's only in puberty most of us really do.

I am pretty convinced most gay couples would have a hard time surving if one or the other transitioned, and other stuff that comes with the trans like havibg a screwed up body map or doing better on hormones your body isn't making (not that all those things are always there, and there's other examples I could have used), I don't think most gay people have those traits. But I do think that being a guy and having the guts even to admit to yourself that you like guys, I think that is going to get you a closer kinship with women, and I think that is a wonderful thing that should be embraced.

7. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well you are a minority its easier to accept yourself and others who are and embrace other outsiders traits that are not accepted since you got that hate anyway do you care if they hate you more no i dont think so
    i read a study once about fem traits in men did you know its more common in Straight men ? and that they stop showing those traits because of shame and peers not accepting it ?? and because they dont want people to see them as gay ? they start the acting of being someone else but in fact the study shows that most of them still act in private with family members and spouses all freely but they are just scared to do it outside and be themselves
    gay men have showed more proud about this subject and most of them have embraced their traits instead of just shoving it away and hiding but still there are some gay men who have the same problem that some straight men have they dont want to be seen as gay they really like being themselves but not outing themselves so they wear a masculine mask (no offence to masculine guys im not saying like some gays do that they are all fake and they should drop the act ! im not that ignorant im just talking about some who really need to drop the act )

8. Queero

I think that this is true, at least in some cases.

I may be more comfortable expressing my more "feminine" traits because it was accepted and even encouraged in me as a child. Whereas a cis guy is much less likely to have been encouraged to express those feminine traits.

I work with small children, and I can tell you that before the age of around 3 or 4, they do not feel like they need to repress any of these feminine or masculine traits yet. When you have all the different colors, the boys will frequently chose purple, but then later on, they will want green or blue because someone has likely told them purple's a "girl color". All it takes is a few comments like that, and kids will change.

I did, when I was about 5 or 6, I learned to associate the color pink with being a girl, and I suddenly hated it with a passion, I would scream and freak out whenever anyone would try to give me a pink anything, and glare at them and say "blue!"

I think that may have been a sign.