1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binder & Coming out

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RalphHenry, Apr 23, 2015.

1. RalphHenry

RalphHenry Guest

So if everything goes according to plan I will order my very first binder either Saturday or Sunday. I've looked around at different companies and I have heard a lot about Underworks and they seem to be really trusted, so I think I'm ordering from there. For those of you who have ordered from them: do they use discreet packaging? I'm not out yet, so it will raise suspicions if "Underworks" is plastered all over the box.

This leads me to the second part of this. Because I'm ordering a binder, should I use it as an "in" to start the coming out conversation? If they ask what's in the box, most likely they will, should I sit them down and tell them everything or do you think it's best to wait? I've been wanting to start therapy for this and I think the only way my mom will let me is if she knew the real reason why. She thinks I just want therapy to deal with stuff that's going on now, which is true, but it's mainly for help in my transition.

2. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do you think they will be accepting of it? If so, I see no reason why that would be a problem, however, I wouldn't suggest pinning all your plans on them seeing the box, because sometimes things don't work out like we plan. I'd suggest that if you're ready to come out and you think they will be okay with you doing so, that you do it whenever you feel comfortable doing so.

If there will be consequences to telling them, such as being kicked out etc, then I'd advise that you wait for a while before coming out.

Anyhoo, hope everything turns out okay :slight_smile:

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I forgot what mine came in specifically, but it was pretty discreet from what I remember. It doesn't say anything like "FTM Binder" or whatever on the front. My Loveboat binder was much the same, but arrived in a rather bright blue plastic type of envelope, and had nothing suspicious on the front. So in that sense, you don't have to worry about the labeling causing any suspicion.

With your parents, as ForNarnia put, do you think they would be accepting or have a problem with the situation?

4. GoWithTheFlow

Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not trans, I'm genderfluid, but I desperately needed a binder for not only life, but for cosplay, so instead of coming out to my trans/homophobic parents, I said "I need a binder for cosplay."
    I got an Underworks #997 by the way, and I'm a DD cup. It works wonders.

5. abandonedsocks

Honestly, I started wearing a binder every day and my parents didn't even notice. Generally, I do wear baggier clothes anyway, but my chest was noticeably flat, (which it definitely wasn't before), and they either didn't notice or didn't know how to ask where my chest size went. Maybe wear it for a bit, see if they even notice? If so, maybe say it's for cosplay, or that it's just a tighter bra/etc. I don't remember them putting any crazy self advertisement on the packaging. There's a company called G2cb that makes binders, too.. I've found they're a lot more comfortable than the underworks one I have, but it's all up to you! Generally binders are in discreet packaging though!