1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions/what to expect...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BluhImCourtney, Apr 24, 2015.

1. BluhImCourtney

Hey, everyone. There are some questions I kind of want to ask, so... here goes? Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section or anything, I'm kind of new here. ._.

I am a 17-year-old transgender female, and am about to start HRT. I already had the initial appointment with the endocrinologist, but I'll be starting it in about 11 days (May 5th). However, I was told the endocrinologist I visited will be retiring, or is retired. But I guess that really isn't the point and I'm just babbling on for nothing. ^-^

Mainly, I was wondering what I should expect from it (the meeting and the hormones). I read that the effects of the hormones start to show after about 3 months depending on body type; is this true? What was your experience like? I'm just trying to confirm what I read and stuff.

Also, about the meeting, my birthday is something like 5 days before, so I could get clothes and probably will, but does the meeting require you to be dressed in "female attire"? I dress pretty androgynously, so I'm not sure if it matters. I heard that some places might deny you if you don't, but that was from a country other than the US, so I'm not sure if it's the same or not over here. This question probably doesn't matter since I've already had the initial meeting and have not been denied it, but just curious if the horror stories are true or not.

Also, what should I expect in general? I already got through the initial meeting with the talking and confirming and all the paperwork (ow ow ow hand cramps =o=), so are they just going to prescribe it or just administer it there? I know I really should have asked all this at the time, but meh. ._.

Sorry if I was being stupid/silly in asking anything, and thanks in advance for any help.

Peace. <3

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd say don't get nervous... be yourself.

Cannot comment on clothing, but a good source could be second hand stores.

For the effects you might look up a pdf called hormones_MTF.pdf

3. BluhImCourtney

Ask a generic question, get a generic answer... =w=

Although the pdf did answer most of my questions, so thank you for that. ^-^

I still don't know what happens when I get the prescription, though; do they administer it there or do I have to pay a visit to a pharmacy or something? The pdf made it sound like the latter.

Thanks again for your feedback, glad to know someone wanted to help. :grin:

4. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually the prescription is in pill form, so you will have to go pick it up at the drug store. Unless you have specifically asked for injections, or been told that's what you'll get, I would assume that you will get pills. :slight_smile: If you're getting injections I would assume they will administer it to you, and teach you how to do it yourself.

5. BluhImCourtney

Yes, I will be getting pills for the first year, then switching to the patch after I turn 18, as that is a law in NY now, apparently. (HRT is covered by insurance for transgender individuals 18+. I think. And seeing as the patch is supposedly safer/more effective...)

So I assume if I start the patch I would still have to get it from the pharmacy, right?

And thank you for the reply. :grin:

6. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, you get them too from the pharmacy.

Oh, and congratulations on starting HRT soon! I'm sure you're excited! :slight_smile:

7. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The effectiveness of the patch also depends on your skin.

If you get pills ask them about sublingual (only estro). If taken sublingually, there might be less strain on the liver. There are some micronized pills that dissolve more easily.
    This is important info.

If shots, you might think about getting weekly ones. If you get biweekly ones there might be a high in the beginning and a low at the end. There are people who report a low during the last two or three days.

Same for pills, it might be advisable to spread the dose throughout the day.

You might ask about bioidentical progesterone.
    Theory is it helps with breast development, has some antiandrogen effects, counters some effects of estro and might help with mood.
    Topical, implants and pills are possible. There is another form of progesterone, progestin, which must not be confused with bioidentical progesterone. It does not have the same effects.

This all is info you should talk through with your endo. Some are experienced, some are not. If they are not experienced they at least get a clue what to look for.

And if you smoke you might think about stopping.

8. BluhImCourtney

Thank you for the info, I'll be sure to ask the endocrinologist about it... not sure if they'll know/are experienced enough already or not, as the one I went to retired and someone else took over, so...

Also, the pdf says the progesterone stuff hasn't really been proven yet, and might have more side effects than benefits... but I'll ask about it anyway. Can't hurt to try. :slight_smile:

And no, never smoked a second in my life, and don't plan on starting.

Thanks again for the info. ^-^

And yes Lucky, I'm very excited. ^-^