1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Puberty Blockers

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Folieadeux, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Folieadeux

Hey everyone!
    I had some questions about puberty blockers, and I was wondering the effect of them on a FTM person (like me)?
    First off, I'm 13 so I don't know if I am already too old for them?
    Also, what do they necessarily do specifically?
    My biggest question is if they stop/reduce the growth of breasts? That would be ideal for me.

I can't find as much information on them as I would like, but they are reversible and safe, right? I want to ask my parents if they can let me take them, but I don't know if I've already passed the age where they are effective.

Thank you!
    Also, if any of you were curious, my parents are totally cool with me being trans and my dad corrects himself any time he slips up, and my mom is researching and learning more on what it means to be trans :')

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, whether or not you're too old for them depends on you personally. Basically, if puberty is still happening, it's not too late. If you're not sure, a doctor can evaluate how far into puberty you are and thus whether or not they would be effective.

Blockers won't undo what's already happened, but they will stop any more changes from occurring, so yes, they will stop breast growth.

They are totally safe. There are no irreversible effects, meaning that if you stop taking them, puberty will proceed just as it would have.

I'm glad you have such accepting parents :slight_smile:

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^this.

If your doctor isn't helpful, a trans friendly endocrinologist should be able to point you in the right direction.

4. bi2me

There is a teen center at Cincinnati Childrens Hospital, which specializes in helping transgender youth. I have heard that they are really helpful. You might call and see what help they could give you or if there is somewhere closer to you.