1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noticing Transgender in the World

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Matto_Corvo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since I've started questioning my own gender I've realized I've become a lot more aware of transgender issues, and transgender people in the world.

Like how in my state there was this huge deal where a young trans girl went to get her driver license and the people at the DMV made her remove her makeup for her picture, saying that her sex was male and that boy's shouldn't wear makeup in their license's photo. Thank god this girl's mom is a wonderful person. She took action against the DMV and recently the girl got to retake her picture with her makeup on, and all DMV's in SC now have to undergo training on the right way to treat transgender/non-binary/gender non-conforming individuals.

Before I would probably listening enough to side with the girl, then changed the channel and not give it a second thought. Now I actually take take the time to listen to the whole thing. I seem to noticed these things easier now.

I also don't know if I am just more aware of them now, or if there are more, but there seem to be a lot of transgender/non-binary/gender non-conforming person in the world. Maybe all people don't actually fit into the binary and it is only in the modern day that they are willing to speak up about it. Or maybe I am more sensitive to it now.

Either way transgender people are in the news more, and getting more attention. The public is learning more and more everyday, and hopefully one day transitioning to the sex that matches one's gender won't be met by negativity but acceptance.

2. kristen48

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but there will be people out there who will not like us, no matter what we do. That is a fact of life. However, if we can get to general acceptance, or overall indifference from society, that's an accomplishment.

3. Queero

Hopefully. Yeah, there are definitely more trans* people in the news than there used to be, just since I was little, there have been more and more.

Yes kristen48, there will always be people who don't like us, but that true not just of lgbt people, but really any group. There will always be some people that don't approve of women wearing pants. They used to be the majority, but they aren't now. And that's some progress in itself.

If we can change a few hundred people's attitudes, then that's good, and those people can get other people to reconsider their negative opinions about lgbtq+ people. And then if we can get the supporters to be that majority eventually, then that will be fabulous.

I also think I definitely pay attention now, and when I see a story about a trans* person, or people, I listen to it or read the whole thing.