1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Yamato, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Yamato

Hi

I've used to use this site alot several years ago but stopped. I'm back now and need advice on coming out as trans*.
    I have been figuring this out for almost 3 years now since I found out that being trans* was a thing. I think I have finally accepted it myself but it took a while and I'm still not entirely sure of my gender but I know I'm not female and would like to be alot more masculine.

I now want to come out. Just to a few of my closest friends for now but I don't know how to tell them. There is one friend I want to start with as he was the one who started my questioning of my gender (though he doesn't know that yet) and I will be seeing him at the weekend and want to do it then. I just really don't know how to do it.

Any advice will be very welcome

Thanks
    Yamato

2. Lawlett

Lawlett Guest

I just gotta say... I am quite surprised to find another trans*guy who is also asexual. I did not know any other people like me existed.

On your question. A lot of people say to write a letter when coming out as trans* because it gives you an outlet to fully explain yourself in an organized and well thought-out manner, without being interrupted. You could write it up, and give it to him upon departing.

Another method: You could bring up something in the news about transgender people to see his reaction. Maybe then you could get a conversation going on the topic and just discuss it in a friendly way. If his reaction is bad (but not severe), you could ask him why he felt that way. Get him thinking. If his reaction was good, there is a good chance he'd be accepting.

If you already know that he is okay with trans*people or gay people or is at least educated and understands what that means, you could just spill the beans. Say, "[insert friend's name here], I'm trans." Let him be surprised, let him ask questions. Just remember to be calm and confident.

Coming out is a tough subject. There's never really an easy way to do it, as it will always be awkward. Just try to do it in the "least bad" way, which depends on the person you're coming out to. After all, you're the better judge of your friends.

Hope some of this helped.

Regards,
    -Lawlett

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Some tips: To first come out at all, so to say, is naturally the focus. However, also have in the back of your mind what you practically want from your friend. For example, I guess you'll want him to start calling you he/him. Also, do you have a taken name you'd like to use? Remember to, well, remember that in that case ^^

Also, if you're questioning, I guess bring that up as well. FtM works, but you know, let him know what you're sure about and then you might muse with him on specifics :slight_smile:

Good luck!! You're really brave! <3 (*hug*)

4. Yamato

hey guys thanks for the responses.
    Lawlett, I'm sure there are plenty of ace transguys around, we cant be the only ones. I think I will sit and ask him some questions first before out right telling him. He already knows alot about trans people so he should be ok with it but he can be slightly unpredictable at times.