1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a little help on a project, I guess

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BluhImCourtney, Apr 28, 2015.

1. BluhImCourtney

So I'm taking a psychology class, and we're supposed to do a project on a "mental disorder". And I was kind of wondering if I should do it about Gender Dysphoria, as a way of coming out.

Even though I don't want to think of transgender stuff as a mental disorder, I looked it up, and the DSM-4 classified it as Gender IDENTITY Disorder, where it is considered a mental disorder, and in the new DSM-5, they changed it to Gender Dysphoria, which is just where the mismatch of body and gender create a disturbance or whatever, like depression caused by said trans stuff.

I'm only going to write it up. I'm too shy to present it in front of the class anyways. But I still want to find a way to tell my psych teacher.

She always greets students enthusiastically, and when referring to me, always says, "Hello, Sir," and I kind of want her to stop that. :dry:

But there was this one video she showed us at the beginning of the year about the "psychology of homosexuality," even though it was removed from the DSM back in the 1970s. And in the documentary, they equated GID to homosexuality. I wanted to break the screen. >.>

So WOULD it be a good idea to do my project on it? It's more a question of "should I consider myself mentally ill in that regard or not" than anything. And I'm kinda torn. ._.

2. kazukokat

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I agree with you, I fully believe that Gender Identity is not a Disorder, now the mental health issues related to it could of course be the cause of other mental health issues but in and of itself I dont believe it is a disorder.

Honestly I think you should because the only way to educate the public about things they dont know much about is to actually say something.

3. Lawlett

Lawlett Guest

You're right about it not being a mental disorder and you should not identify yourself as mentally disordered if you aren't.

However, I think if you told your Psychology teacher beforehand (maybe privately) that you wish to do it on Gender Dysphoria as a mental health condition, asking if that's okay instead of a disorder. You could then go on to explain why you wish to do this.

Making a research presentation as a way of coming out is a great idea, by the way. I think one of the main problems with people when it comes to trans* is that most people, whether they want to admit it or not, are quite uneducated in such matters. That way you have a chance to educate them properly and then explain your own situation.

Anyway... Good luck on your project and possible coming-out!

Regards,
    -L-

4. BluhImCourtney

I was thinking of treating Dysphoria as something like depression, as not everyone who has a Gender Identity different than their assigned birth sex had Gender Dysphoria, and Dysphoria can lead to things like depression, anxiety, low self-esteem and even self-hatred and body issues, blahblahblah.

But I'm not sure if I can make the project about a "condition", as the sheet says "disorder". But, if depression is a "disorder" and not a "condition", then I guess dysphoria could also be seen as a "disorder". I dunno.

My other choices were trichotillomania and DID. But I still kind of want to come out and let my teacher know.

EDIT: I should note that a disorder is only seen as a disorder if it interferes with daily life. So if Dysphoria causes depression and other stuff, then it is kind of a disorder.

#4 BluhImCourtney, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dysphoria cased depression for me as a teen. I don't know how I got through the days

6. BluhImCourtney

Yeah, I know how you felt/feel, going through it now. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But the question is whether I should consider dysphoria itself the disorder or just the cause of the depression.

Of course, for me, my depression has alot of causes, but the dysphoria is a big one.

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The main thing I remember about my depression was that I hated myself so much. Just nothing about me seemed good enough. I was born a girl but my body did a lot of male things like growing facial hair and a tad bit of chest hair (not that it was noticeable). I hated my boobs and just wished that I could get breast cancer so that I would have a reason to have them removed. I was also fat, which was depressing. I was at a new school and had no friends, which was depressing. There were a lot of factors to cause a depression, and add all that on to being a hormonal teenager.

To me dysphoria is just a symptom, like some people who are trans don't have dysphoria at all, yet they still know that they are trans (I wish I knew how they knew).

8. BluhImCourtney

Yeah, I was kind trying to say that, but my brain is like, "no, you're not allowed to make sense today!"

So, I think I'm gonna do the project on it, what do you think? I already have two positive opinions (no, fingers, not "onions") but it's always nice to be democratic. ;p

9. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lmao, onions xD no idea why i found that funny.

I think go for it. Enlighten the public while declaring who you are!

10. BluhImCourtney

It's not really the public, since I opted to just write a paper and hand it to the teacher, but that's just knit picking. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And that's the second time today I almost spelled onions instead of opinions.

11. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sometimes opinions can be like onions.

There is a character on The Bold and the Beautiful who is a trans-woman

12. BluhImCourtney

Like, the character or the actual actress?

EDIT: Looked it up, and it's just the character. Meh. I watched like 13 seasons of Degrassi just because of Adam, so... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#12 BluhImCourtney, Apr 28, 2015
  13. BluhImCourtney

So do opinions have layers, or do they just really stink?

(Should have said this before, but I forgot.)

14. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would personally not write the paper on gender dysphoria because to me that would feel like supporting it being classified as a mental illness, when it is not one. There are better ways to educate him on the issue and come out to him than to present being trans as a mental disorder.

15. BluhImCourtney

Yeah, but... you know...

It being classified as a mental illness (dysphoria, NOT gender identity) does help some people get the hormones/surgery they need. But meh.

I was talking about the dysphoria, not the actual identity. Which is why I equated the "dysphoria" to clinical/chronic depression. Which is a symptom of it, but still.

GID is no longer a mental "illness", unless you ask bigots who don't accept the new DSM-5 over the DSM-4 and still believe it to coincide with homosexuality. Now it's gender dysphoria, the dysphoria/depression some trans people feel that results from them being trans. Some trans people don't have dysphoria, just like some people don't have clinical depression. Again, a disorder is only classified as a disorder if it impedes everyday life.

#15 BluhImCourtney, Apr 28, 2015
  16. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if you want to keep it simple, some just stink

If you want to go deep, some opinions are deep. peel back that bigot layer, and you get misunderstanding which coats itself in a layer of fear and hate. There are layers of arrogance, and layers of ignorance. I can go on all day.

17. BluhImCourtney

Well, I did it.

I told her I'm doing Gender Dysphoria.

I didn't actually say it to her face that I was trans, but she had the look on her face like, "holy sh** I've been calling this person 'sir' for like a month and a half now."

Honestly I feel a bit worse. If not more... powerful? I don't know. I just feel like I have an up now.

She doubted I could cover the topic though. I've been researching this for almost 3 or 4 years since I was 13, I think I can handle this. :rolle:

EDIT: Also, not sure if I should do this here, but *birthday dance*:eusa_danc

18. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh? Your birthday? Happy b-day

That is awesome though :grin: What do you mean you feel worse though?

19. BluhImCourtney

I guess I just feel kind of mad at her for saying, "you might not be able to cover it in time, are you sure?" When she was ALL ABOARD doing the project about DID or Trichotillomania.

20. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you'll just have to prove her wrong!
    it is a topic that makes people uncomfortable